• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First try at a powder horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm making a powder horn for the first time. I've had a raw horn laying around for several years, and I thought I would make a horn to go with the 1770's rifle I'm making.
My GGG Grandfather enlisted at age 16 and was at Brandywine. I put his name and home on the horn. I know that my ancestors had a connection with the sea, and I own a small schooner; so I put a drawing of my schooner on the other side. It's a simple horn a one-time cabin boy/farmer may have made.
I haven't put pins to hold the plug in yet. What would be most likely for the time period/place?

P2020469 by okawbow, on Flickr

P2020468 by okawbow, on Flickr

P2020467 by okawbow, on Flickr

Looks great! I don't care if it's your first or fiftieth it looks great. You have a talent.

Middle picture made me remember drawing on Old Spice shaving lotion my dad used.

Wished I had talents you have. I've made 2; the squirrels laugh when I carry either afield.

All the originals I've seen have their plugs pinned in with wooden pegs. If you intend to leave it white, I'd go with cherry or walnut for diversity's sake. One guy recommended Black Thorn spikes or any such thorny bush. Another even uses the round, pointy ended toothpicks since they're hard wood and pre-tapered. Be sure to seal pegs and end plug with beeswax...more important I'd think than the peg material! :wink:

Doesn't matter if the squirrels laugh when you go in the woods, as long as your laughing when you leave the woods.

Thanks, I'll probably whittle some hardwood pegs or use some honey locust thorns.

I may make another horn in memory of another GGG Grandfather, John Irey, who fought at Yorktown with Lafayette. He was a quaker, at least until he went to war.

Great project and great memory. Any thorn that's a good solid make-up and not spongy should do the trick! :thumbsup:

Very nice work! Much better than the first(and only) that I made!!

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Wes/Tex said:
All the originals I've seen have their plugs pinned in with wooden pegs. If you intend to leave it white, I'd go with cherry or walnut for diversity's sake. One guy recommended Black Thorn spikes or any such thorny bush. Another even uses the round, pointy ended toothpicks since they're hard wood and pre-tapered. Be sure to seal pegs and end plug with beeswax...more important I'd think than the peg material! :wink:

Wooden pegs were common, as were iron nails, but I have never seen an original powder horn with copper nail pegged base. Might find some, but just saying I have not seen any!... If your not concerned about historic authenticity, anything goes!

Rick

Good job, My first two went in the can. To save $ I started sending my horns over to my buddy to build. I just couldn't do this. Again nice job

Spent some time today whittling out some hickory pegs, and tapping them in. Stained the ends to look old.

Will think about what a 16 year old farmer might have used for a strap. Maybe braided rawhide or leather?

P2040479 by okawbow, on Flickr

Probably not rawhide, not in the East. Leather certainly, possibly a hemp or linen strap.

Back