• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Woodrats of the Year

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tumblernotch

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to go out and do a little hunting. I surveyed the Summer storm and early snowstorm damage from this past week as well.

I took my .32 flintlock out and first thing I do is take a bad shot and miss. Walking around the ridge, I'm taking pictures of storm damage and see a squirrel cross the road and go up a big poplar. I stood in the road and watched for a while but didn't see anything but could hear another just up the ridge. Finally, I go over to a maple and lean against it watching that poplar. I could see a little stub limb about 30 feet up that appeared to have a leaf stuck to it. Something didn't look right so I kept watching it. Soon, I saw a slight flicker which looked an awful lot like a tail twitching. So I aimed at the leaf and fired. The "leaf" hit the ground with a thud. The ball went through his chest and out his back with no loss of meat.

A little later, I was going down into the holler and had just left the upper flat when I saw another about 75 yards down the hill in another poplar. At the same time I heard another barking up the hill behind me and saw a third off to my left about 75 yards or so away. While I'm deciding who needed my attention the most, a fourth one popped around another tree in front of me about 25 yards off. I took a snap shot at him but couldn't see my front sight well enough and shot over him. The shot stirred another one up just to the left of that one and he hung on the side of an oak and barked his fool head off. I stood there with an empty gun and looked back at him. He quit barking and just stared at me. I slowly reloaded and eased the gun up, aimed just below his head and touched her off. Scratch two. I had to get back to the house and take care of some things or I would have stayed all day. Anyhoo, it was good while it lasted and maybe I'll have some squack for supper Saturday night.

100_0633.jpg
[/img]

Good doings on those squirrels. Like what you experienced, no squirrel I ever body shot with a .32 had any more damage than what a .22LR would do.

Thanks all. With the exception of a lot less meat to be had, I'd rather squirrel hunt than any other kind. I built the rifle specifically for squirrels, but it's great for plinking and there is a new type (well, sort of) of match being discussed among chunk gunners that it would be perfect for. Details are still being worked out.

My front sight is too low and is hard to pick up in poor light. I'm looking at changing it and making a peep for the rear. It's a tack driver out at 50 if there's NO wind. I've got some ideas about working up a load for bullets (paper patched) for it as well just for giggles.

Good hunt and a really nice looking rifle.
I have a question about your rifle, do I see a wood (wooden) under rib between the barrel and the thimbles? Or does it just appear that way? I've never seen that done, but if it is it looks realatively interesting and should make it a lighter front end. Or am I just seeing things? Thanks.

You're not seeing things. It's a piece of oak from the remains of my Grandma's chest of drawers. I messed up and didn't cut it wide enough to wrap around the flats of the barrel so the dovetails are visible. One of these days I might cut another one a little wider. I was in a hurry when I did this one. It's a little lighter than an iron one but not that much. I'm using a brass ramrod anyway, so any savings in weight are lost. The barrel is only 38" long so the extra weight helps me in aiming (the rod extends past the muzzle about 5 inches). There are quite a few originals out there with wood ribs. I've seen very few contemporary rifles with them but they're out there.

And thanks very much for the compliment. There are a lot of flaws in it but it goes bang.

I thought that looked a little oak-y. I guess the old timers used a piece of wood for the rib as the steel (or iron) may not have been availible or too costly. The rib is a part that really doesn't seem to be under too much stress normally and if it did break, it could be replaced realitively cheaply and easily. I think I may have learned something interesting, how the heck did that happen? Thanks.

nice harvest love the wood grain of your gunstock! :thumbsup:

Thanks! Got another blank just like that one. Might have to build another, maybe one for the wife.

Thanks all! With the shooting matches about wrapped up for the year, maybe I'll get back out this Saturday. Need to stock up on squirrel meat for my daughter and I to have one of as she calls them, "epic squirrel feasts".

Back