• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extrema

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi every one, I got my first muzzle loader about two weeks ago. Pedersoli missouri river hawken 50 cal capper. I took it out and sighted it in, only took a few shots. Straight out hunting!. I went for a walk on the thursday afternoon last week. There was a bit of pig sign around but I never caught up with them. I woke friday to heavy showers and cold wind but, gave myself a kick in the arss and said get going boy,you won't shoot any thing sitting in side. I climbed high to try and get the wind in my face but still spooked a group of 10 deer that had a stag with them. As I worked my way around the bush edge I saw a hind about 50m away up a steep ridge. To take the shot I was on my back, trying to hold the sites still. Boom, :shocked2: Deer turned and was gone :doh: After climbing up to where she was standing there was a big pool of blood. She only ran 15m with a blood trail a blind man could follow. The 385gn HGP hit her between the front legs, low in the brisket. Her heart was mush and the bullet was found up in her back ( yes it was a steep up hill shot ) Any way stoked to get my first and I don't think it will be the last! Thanks Greg

Congratulations! From the few videos I've seen here and there, it seems there are plenty of year-round hunting opportunities in New Zealand. Is this the case?

Hi there, no I was hunting fallow deer.Might try for a red next time. Thanks Greg

Hi, yes we can hunt all our game animals year round. They are all classed as pests in this country :youcrazy: The only thing we have a season for is our game birds. Mind you, it's good being able to throw a bit of gear in the ute and head out for a hunt 365 days a year. I have a couple of photos just got to work out how to post :hmm: Thanks Greg.

Pedersoli missouri river hawken 50 cal capper.

What is a capper?????????????

Are you referring to a muzzle loading cap lock rifle as described in Ned Roberts book?

Hi, yes I am Richard. Sorry we Kiwi's are a bit rough around the edges :surrender: Thanks Greg

Yes I have got a couple but, I've never posted photo's on a forum before so it might take a while to work it out. Thanks Greg.

Greg, congratulations on your first. :hatsoff:

To post pictures, get an account on Flickr or some other photo posting website:
https://www.flickr.com/?ytcheck=1

Upload your photos to your account on that site, then copy the IMG link to that photo and paste it into a post here. You can preview to make sure it worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, an uphill shot from one's back, with a muzzleloader, and in the rain...

OK so I've said it before, bragging rights are always better with a front-stuffer.

:hatsoff:

So what are you naming your gun?

How about Angle? It sounds like a name and it depicts your first game shot with it?

:idunno:

LD

Congrats to you, and thanks for posting the pictures! Am I to understand you were on your back when you shot?

Hi, yes thats right, not the kind of shot you practice a lot! I was down in the bottom of a narrow creek, when I looked up to my right this hind was at the top of what we call a razor back ridge. She was looking down at me and all I could see was the bottom of her brisket, neck and head. Sitting was out so I had to lay back to get the angle to shoot her.

Hi, I've noticed people having names for their rifles on this site, some thing I've never thought about to be honest :hmm: Thanks Greg

Back