• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

fishing line and buckshot - Musketman?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did shoot a few broadhead arrows out of my friends T/C New Englander once. Not much on accuracy, but did penetrate well. I had 4 tires stacked on top of each other and filled with dirt that i used for a backstop for shooting. Nothing shot all the way through that. We hit it with one of those broadheads ahead of 100 gr of 2f powder and the arrown went through the front of the tire then hit a rock inside and angled up and out the backside of the tire and kept going.

There were some "beehive" rounds available for various artilery pieces in the past. Don't know their curent status or use.

rayb

My former boss was "commander" on a radar directed self-propelled 155mm howitzer in Korea.

They had 155mm flechette rounds in case they were ever "swarmed" by the "Reds" (oh, for the good old Pre-PC days). Anyway, one day they were preparing for a live fire exercise and the gun next to his swung the muzzle past his team (the tops were open on these S.P. guns) and discharged a 6" flechette shell into the mess tent. No one was hurt, but there were many pairs of pants in the laundry that night.

I understand in Vietnam that #4 buck was preferred to flechette rounds in shotguns for "beating the bushes" in a close-in firefight.

I'd like to know how this thread progressed from buckshot in
a smoothbore muzzleloader to "nails"(that's what we called them in 'Nam) in a 155.

I don't know about Beehive in Arty, but a couple of old tankers I knew talked about using Beehive in tank cannons. According to them the Army discontinued it's use because it was very damaging to the gun tubes.Anyway that's the second hand information that I got on Beehive.

I think that the closest thing we had beehive was DPICM (Dual Purpose Improved Conventional Munitions). It was an artillery round filled with small bomblets roughly equivalent to grenades. It was also similar to the rounds fired from the MLRS during the Gulf War I.

I bet the 120mm smoothbore on the M1A1 would fire one heck of a load of buckshot.

I bet the 120mm smoothbore on the M1A1 would fire one heck of a load of buckshot.
well ,if someone can hunt deer with a howitzer ,why not an m1? :crackup: :crackup:
i wonder how it would work on ducks :: :shocking: :blah:

quote"I understand in Vietnam that #4 buck was preferred to flechette rounds in shotguns for "beating the bushes" in a close-in firefight. "unquote

that may refer to the buckshot round for the 40mm gernade launcher, but it isn't a muzzleloader...

rayb

Perhaps it's time to refresh everyones minds about the topic...

quote from another site:

"For a really devastating load, use split shot crimped over strong monofilament, so the buckshot is essentially tied together with a half inch or so separation."

Found this on another site . . . thoughts?

will it clear the muzzle without bunching up?

sounds devastating - but safe??

we used this alot for geese, its illegal here in Idaho now . I can tell ya that it would take them off right at the nick .
It was also great for high shots or flock shooting . I wouldn

The US military has had such shotgun shell for 40 years or more.
They are called riot control shot.
They are an all brass shell with 7 balls strung together by piano wire.
My uncle (bless his soul)who is in his happy hunting ground was sort of the greedy type. I had some of these shells and he took one look at the brass caseing they were in (not paper or plastic) and just had to have some of them.
I told him that they were only good for clearing brush or cutting a mans legs off with but NOOOOOOOOO he had to see for himself.
Well needless to say, the rabbit he shot was in pieces literaly when he shot it.
Then asked WTH kind of shells are these.
I for one know of no good use for such a shot unless you are clearing brush.

Woody

some of the guys even loaded shells with this load
;
;
As I said, we experimented with these loads a lot when I was a kid. WE didn't have muzzleloaders back then, but an over-under 12 bore Baikal shotgun, 2 bolt action 12 bore Marlins, Lee Loaders and imaginations.

Back