• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fix for 1860 New Army

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firedogross

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just picked up a Uberti 1858 New Army 44. When I put #10 caps on the nipples it wont fire them...until the second time around. I literally have to hammer them once and then the second time around they fire. The caps are fine, I tried on another pistol. I also tried #11 caps. The fired the first time around, but since they were bigger the other fell off when I fire the first one or two. Any help?

Sounds like the nipples are a little too large for #10 and too small for #11. I would chuck each nipple in your drill press (or power drill) and work the diameter down a few thousands with a fine file. Go slow and keep trying the cap. It must seat on the nipple or else it won't fire the first time.

If the #11s aren't too big you may get them to work by just squeezing them a little before putting them on the nipple. That may be an easier solution than reworking the nipples.

So, is this an 1858 or an 1860? Not that it matters much to my recommendation.

The best thing for that revolver would be to get rid of the factory nipples and replace them with Tresos. The nipples are much better than the ones from Uberti, and Remington #10s will fit the Tresos perfectly.

The best thing for that revolver would be to get rid of the factory nipples and replace them with Tresos. The nipples are much better than the ones from Uberti, and Remington #10s will fit the Tresos perfectly.

+10 Treso's are the way to go. You can get them for #10 or #11 caps. I've got #11's on all my cap and ball revolvers, and #11 Remington's fit perfectly. I've worn out several sets of factory nipples, but have yet to wear out a set of Treso's on any of my revolvers, and some have been shot a lot.

Back