• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Fixing Lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy3658

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Have A 1860's muzzleloader lock didn't work the hammer just fill back and forth when I took the lock apart nothing was hooked up inside how do I know if all the parts are there if so how do I put it back in working shape never worked on one before any info will be great is there any info on the web that may show how to put it back together . Thanks Tim

Hi need some more info looks like the lock needs rebuilt & needs new hammer.Does anyone know where I can send this lock to have it rebuilt.And the nipple & drum needs replaced is there any place where I might be able to buy replacement parts that look original to the 1860's muzzleloaders . Thanks for any help.Tim

Is there a wear mark on the under side of the powder drum. It looks to be a possible percussion conversion. When they removed the pan there aint much left for the spring to push against. Just a guess on that mind you. I had a similar piece, lockwise. That one had nothing left though, and rested full on the drum. So just a guess on this one. Should be able to find a spring thru any of the online ml supply places that will fit.

Nice looking rifle, looks to be a pretty typical hardware store percussion lock from the 1850's/60's period. If it was a conversion I don't see any sign of it, but could be.

If it were me I would order a Track of the Wolf catalog. Track has full size pictures of all their locks and you should be able to use that to help you find a commercial lock that would be close. From that point you should be able to find someone (or do it yourself if your handy) who can fit a new mainspring to the lock. If all else fails a new mainspring could be made, but it would be cheaper to go the new spring route first.

The rest of the lock should be taken down and cleaned carefully, any wear to the other parts can be evaluated and dealt with accordingly at that time.

Back