• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flask or Horn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefP

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I now have one of each since my addiction has grown. Seems like it comes down to personal preference, but I'm wondering what others like or dislike about either the powder flask or horn. At the range, in the woods, etc.

I use 3 different containers depending on what I'm doing. Shooting match I use a large horn and bag. Deer or squirrel hunting I use a small pocket size flat horn. Bird hunting I use two flasks with "Irish" heads, one for powder, one for shot.

I prefer the horn.
With most of the modern Flasks, the valve leaks.
It's just a piece of sheet metal that pivots back-n-forth with a lever and spring.

I am one of those sorts who needs to "train" the way I'd hunt. So I use a plain horn when shooting, and use it when hunting as well. I don't have a target load, I always shoot the load that I would when hunting deer, as that's the point..., to get good and stay good at hitting the deer. (for me anyway) Toward hunting season opening day, I will go to the range with my cold weather clothing on and make sure I am good to go..., which can be rough if the weather is unseasonably warm. :grin: It's one way, though, to be sure the clothing and gear won't get entangled, or make excessive noise, can be easily reached, etc.

LD

For my target rifle I use a small flask out of habit, I have used the same one since 1968. But for the smoothbore I use a horn since it holds more powder. :idunno:

I prefer my flask. It fits in my back pocket and I don't even know it's there. I'm talking powder flask, of course :grin: . Bill

Flasks were designed for military use while fighting. They allow a direct channel into the powder storage and are very dangerous to use on follow-up loading. I consider them decorative curiosities only.
Load from a horn into a measure then pour into the gun.

At the range I either use my horn or the can with a spout on it. I use a flask for the woods walk or seneca run. My flask will hold 22 charges for my rifle and fits nicely in my bag, so one less thing to swing and dangle.

ChefP said:
I now have one of each since my addiction has grown. Seems like it comes down to personal preference, but I'm wondering what others like or dislike about either the powder flask or horn. At the range, in the woods, etc.

I prefer using a horn because they can be 100% sealed. They can also look nice scrimshawed.

Flasks are more fitting if one is carrying a fouler. They are also not waterproof.

However, if one is not trying to be PC, then carrying anything to hold powder is OK. At the range, I have a spout to pour directly from the can, into a measure of course.

At the range the kids load out of a flask into the measure. Easier for them and less powder spilled. When hunting they use the horns i made for them. I always load from the horn.

Powder tubes.

Flasks and horns are fine to store powder at camp but have no use in the hunting field.

230521721_o.jpg

I really like the short 5ml tubes as they carry up to 110gr powder which is more than enough.

I have used both and always use a powder measure to pour my powder into before charging my rifle. I NEVER :shake: load powder directly into my rifle. Having said that, my personal preference is a horn. I carry it on my left side (I'm right handed)because it is easier to fill a powder measure that I hold in my right hand. Either is fine as long as you are not trying to be PC for a particular period for which the flask would not be appropriate.

For hunting situations I like using a flask for the main charge. It's smaller than my horn and fits in my shooting bag pretty well and makes for less entanglement going through brush. I've used a flask for priming with a springloaded spout. But sometimes I like a flattened horn for the priming better because it pours faster. For off hand target practice I like the horn for the main charge since you don't have to go digging for it. Of course I could get a flask with straps, but that just isn't appealing to me.

I have a brass flask that my measure fits into and then I push the button to fill the measure. No spill and holds enough powder for range use. For hunting I use plastic TC tubes like the 4&1 or quick shot loaders. For my small game guns I use the plastic tubes Northland fishing tackle company sell to store beads used in making fishing tackle. The small size is perfect for my 32,36 & 40 calibers. I like to weight out the Goex for the small game calibers on a scale.

Back