• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flask or Horn?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the responses, it seems many simply do not understand the danger of loading directly from a flask or horn into the bore.
And, I know from experience, repeating usually does nothing to change those practices. Response is often, "it ain't blowed up yet". I love the "yet" part.
Go from horn/flast to measure and pour that into the bore. That is the safe way.

KV Rummer said:
I like the tubes. Where can I find some?

Go online and look for Northland Fishing tackle company. You can buy them direct from their site or visit a sport shop and see if they will order them for you.

American Pioneer powder company sells their powder in tubes as well. While I don't overly like the powder, I do love their tubes which hold up to 100 grains. Years ago they offered them in tubes that held 150 grains, but you can no longer get those. If you have any of those big tubes hang on to them.

TC sells plastic 4 N 1 loaders and also their quick shots. Both work well for hunting with 45 caliber, 50 caliber, & 54 calber. The 4N1 loaders also work as a short starter. Both hold powder, cap/prime, and ball/bullet.

"Flasks and horns are fine to store powder at camp but have no use in the hunting field"

That may be true for you, but most of us "Kentuckians" use horns with great success. We've been doing it since the mid 18th century. But then again, we also use black powder.

my point about the flask or horn is that its not practical to sling them around on a hunt in the field, you can't possibly need THAT much powder for a days hunt. All they do is clunk around and get in the way, especially in thick brush. I've even dropped the possibles bag and use a belt bag that holds my nipple puller, capper, and my tubes that hold projectile and powder.

There really is not wrong, just stating my way as i've over packed in the past and just got tired of all that stuff getting in my way during a stalk.

Horns for muzzleloaders ,flasks for cap and ball revolvers , paper cart. for all military ml..

Not at all horner, You telling me that you need a half pound powder for a morning/evening hunt. Take a few extra shots and thats it. All a flask or horn does is add weight and hang up in brush.

Speaking of tubes, not being a purist, when I go turkey or squirrel hunting I leave the house with a loaded Flintlock, and a couple reloads in a shirt pocket.

5ML10MLVialscroppedresized.jpg

I have a flask, a couple of horns, and the T/C 4-1's. For big game hunting I like to have my small flask in my bag. But I carry a couple loaded up 4-1's in my pocket for quick access. For small game, I like to carry the horn...not because it's really handy...but "just because" it's kind of neat and I like it! Plus for small game, I never know how many shots I'll get...some days it's alot and I don't have to worry about running out of powder.

..far as I'm concerned ...plastic is for .."inlines" ! If I was into .."Easy" I'd use a modern gun !

I use a flask for my Jameson, a horn for my rifle, and an antler with a 3 grain valve for my primer.

I've not had an issue with my horn banging around. Mine sits just above my bag on my let side. It tucks in nice and tight, and doesnt move around. To be honest, I dont notice its there.

Back