• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flat spots on tumbled balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I can’t seem to come up with a consistent finish.
I know it is not needed but I have nothing better to do.

I have tried with graphite and without and thought I had the perfect recipe using soapy water. Then it just quit working.
The last 50 I have played with have come out with big flat spots on them.
I have tried 15 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour and over night. I have tumbled all it would turn and just a small handful.

I have cleaned up about 500 balls .45, .54 58 and 62 with good results but decided to cast another 50 - .62 caliber and half are great and half are going back in the pot

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_0797.jpeg
    IMG_0797.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 4
The balls in your pic look OK to me, but I'm no expert. I'd be happy to shoot them as shown. I don't know what effect on accuracy, but I just shoot for fun, not for competition. Unless maybe you're shooting for competition (and have no expertise in that aspect) I think you're doing just fine.

I am retired and bored…… 90% of the time I am just shooting hogs at 25 yards and I know as cast balls are fine and have killed tons of critters with them. I am just messing around with the tumbling for something to do to keep busy.

I have already built 5 Kiblers this year and need to kill time doing something that doesn’t cost as much as buying another kit gun

I am retired and bored…… 90% of the time I am just shooting hogs at 25 yards and I know as cast balls are fine and have killed tons of critters with them. I am just messing around with the tumbling for something to do to keep busy.

I have already built 5 Kiblers this year and need to kill time doing something that doesn’t cost as much as buying another kit gun
To remove the flat spots you might try rolling the balls between to pieces of plate steel or aluminum.

If you’re near by, you could kill some time over here. Lots to do, like grass cutting or cleaning the shop or even the chicken coop, and you can do it all for free!!🤗

Build a gun from scratch, , that’l keep you busy.
Might I suggest an under hammer as the locks are easy to build or a mule ear?

I wouldn't worry to much, i tumble mine and get some flat spots here and there. Just stuff em down and shoot. If you're bored, get a puppy 😊 they'll keep ya busy 😋

I too have a lot of free time. I tried weighing my rbs and powder charges and after a while I came to the realization that the distances I shoot, 100 yards or less, it really doesn’t matter what the balls weigh or a grain or two difference in the powder charge. I don’t want to make my muzzleloading hobby into work..

I have tried with graphite and without and thought I had the perfect recipe using soapy water. Then it just quit working.
I have tried 15 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour and over night. I have tumbled all it would turn and just a small handful.

I have cleaned up about 500 balls .45, .54 58 and 62 with good results but decided to cast another 50 - .62 caliber and half are great and half are going back in the pot

Well, believe it or not, all you need is a spare foot sock and a good show on TV while you accomplish the task. Place about 30 to 40 round balls inside the sock. Hold one end of the sock in each hand and rock those little babies gently back and forth from top to bottom. Takes five minutes, and they come out looking like you just bought them from Hornady! Try it; I'm not kidding! You'll have trouble finding the sprue.

Cheers, Pete

I tumble in a rotary tumbler, primarily to get rid of the sprue. I get similar flat spots, don't seem to affect accuracy, as evidenced by:
20240831_171037.jpg

20240820_133930.jpg

Will follow this thread however, am curious to see what solution you find.

Speer uses what is known as Pressure Casting on an industrial level with round balls and results in no flat spots, you see this on round balls from Hornady also amongst other manufacturers . I don’t know the particulars of how or why but it must be pretty ingenious.

What ranges, @JDBraddy, were you shooting? I agree, the flat spots should be of little consequence.
Granted those are what I call "wallet groups " can't do that on command....yet.

But the top target was at 50yds with my .36cal and the bottom was at 100yds with my .50cal.

This is the best I've shot in an actual match. 50yds.
20240804_135947.jpg

Last edited:
Well, believe it or not, all you need is a spare foot sock and a good show on TV while you accomplish the task. Place about 30 to 40 round balls inside the sock. Hold one end of the sock in each hand and rock those little babies gently back and forth from top to bottom. Takes five minutes, and they come out looking like you just bought them from Hornady! Try it; I'm not kidding! You'll have trouble finding the sprue.

Cheers, Pete
Will have to give it a try, do you get better results with cotton or synthetic?

Back