• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint lock Lock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinker2

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Digging in some makings, I came up with this. I can’t find it listed in TOW . Anyone know anything about it? Who made it? What would it be right for? Right gun? Good lock?
Lock is 4 5/8” long
Lock1.jpg

Lock2.jpg

Lock3.jpg

Getting closer to having enough parts.

Any and all ideas and comments are always welcome.

Thanks
Tinker2

TOW sold them years back .With a little polishing are a snappy little lock . It was listed as a Barnett in thier old catalogue.Makes for a nice little southern rifle .

I think it's probably a Barnett too. Always struck me as a little odd. It has that late style water proof pan on a lock plate that isn't quite the same vintage--a bit of late feature here and early there. It's small enough to use on a late period pistol and big enough to use on a small or slender rifle like a Tennessee pea rifle. I seem to recall that they needed some tuning to get them to spark well.

It's a Dixie Italian lock. I had to go back and look at the one I have to make sure. Good little lock. Good sparker and relativly easy on flints. I had to cannibalize mine to fix an Ashmore that had a broken hammer screw in the tumbler. The guts swap out with the Dixie Ashmore.

Mike is right also , Dixie carried them also . There was a percussion model also that you could use to interchange with them .In an old BP mag there was an article how to tune one up and TOW used that as a selling point in the old catalogue .

Russ T Frizzen said:
I think it's probably a Barnett too. Always struck me as a little odd. It has that late style water proof pan on a lock plate that isn't quite the same vintage--a bit of late feature here and early there. It's small enough to use on a late period pistol and big enough to use on a small or slender rifle like a Tennessee pea rifle. I seem to recall that they needed some tuning to get them to spark well.
Russ T Frizzen

So what you are saying is that it not really right for anything?
So if I am putting something together that that is not a replica of anything [ 36 caliber short smooth bore ] it would a good place for it to go? I think I like that.

Thanks
Tinker2

Mike2005 said:
I had to cannibalize mine to fix an Ashmore that had a broken hammer screw in the tumbler.

Mike2005

So you got parts for it for sale?

Tinker2

Tinker2 said:
Mike2005

So you got parts for it for sale?

Tinker2

Sorry. I haven't done it yet but I am going to pick up a reverse drill and get the broken hammer screw out of the tumbler. A new hammer screw should not be hard to find or make.

I'm thinking about using it in a slim, small caliber rifle or a slim line pistol.

I don't think anyone would ever challenge you on it, it's one of those things where it just isn't quite right. So you could use it on most any later period rifle , but it would be especially good on a Southern Mountain pea rifle due to its small size. You'd wind up with a slender little squirrel rifle--I'd use one of those 3/4" barrels that are available.

I think the main esthetic problem with these locks is that the size of the pan area tends to over power the rest of the lock. It boils down to a matter of taste and most folks probably wouldn't even notice it.

Russ T Frizzen said:
...So you could use it on most any later period rifle , but it would be especially good on a Southern Mountain pea rifle due to its small size. You'd wind up with a slender little squirrel rifle--I'd use one of those 3/4" barrels that are available.

That's what I did with the Ashmore. I built a little .32 with a 36" 3/4" GM barrel. I am thinking of doing something similar with the other lock.

Mike2005 said:
That's what I did with the Ashmore. I built a little .32 with a 36" 3/4" GM barrel. I am thinking of doing something similar with the other lock.

Pictures, my man, pictures please.

Tinker2

Tinker2 said:

Pictures, my man, pictures please.

Tinker2

Your wish is my command.

I call her Swee'Pea because she is a sweet little pea shooter.

I built her with a 36" 3/4" GM barrel and Dixie Ashmore lock. The triggers are some cheapies that I had around the shop. They were so bad that I removed the rear trigger. A little lock tuning gave me about a half pound pull on the single trigger.

The only place I could find that would do a 3/4" barrel channel was from Muzzle Loaders Building Supply. The stock was a plain maple stock blank with barrel channel and ramrod channel drilled. That little channel in the large stock blank looked pretty strange. I ended up cutting 1/4" off each side of the stock before I could even start shaping.

SweePea1.jpg

Back