• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint Lock Main Spring

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find a main spring that might fit a Hy-Hunter flint lock?
It was working fine with a homemade flint but the spark was weak. I ordered a couple of English ones. Was going to install it and the hammer didn't have any tension. Took the lock off and a piece of the spring fell out. Very heart broken (me, not the spring) especially for what I paid for the pistol.
Any help would be appreciated.
Jappo

Attachments

• 20240911_110838.jpg
    20240911_110838.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240911_110849.jpg
    20240911_110849.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I did have a broken mainspring. I used the full-sized drawings in the Track of the Wolf catalog to find a mainspring that closely matched the broken spring. You may have to print out each page that shows mainsprings to get the full-sized images. I did find a match. I did have to drill a hole in the lock plate for the locating pin on the spring.

I did have a broken mainspring. I used the full-sized drawings in the Track of the Wolf catalog to find a mainspring that closely matched the broken spring. You may have to print out each page that shows mainsprings to get the full-sized images. I did find a match. I did have to drill a hole in the lock plate for the locating pin on the spring.
What is your pistol?

The broken mainspring was in a Cherry Corners Lock that I used for my Hawken rifle build. I found the L&R mainspring for the late English lock (that I used in my Derringer Replica) was a great replacement. I did have to drill a new locating hole.

I would look at the pistol locks in the catalog or the other small flint locks such as the L&R Manton.

The broken mainspring was in a Cherry Corners Lock that I used for my Hawken rifle build. I found the L&R mainspring for the late English lock (that I used in my Derringer Replica) was a great replacement. I did have to drill a new locating hole.

I would look at the pistol locks in the catalog or the other small flint locks such as the L&R Manton.
I see. This is a huge lock. Its 6 inches long.
There's a few on ebay I need to check out. They have the measurements on them. Just haven't took the time to look into them. I might be able to modify a Walker spring. I need to take mine off and have a look see.

Attachments

• 9k=.jpg
    9k=.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240916_093805.jpg
    20240916_093805.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240916_093759.jpg
    20240916_093759.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jappo I you can find a neighbor that is scrapping out one of those kids trampoline the metal hoop that holds up the netting and keeps it round is a spring steel. You may be able to make one from that.

Suss
Ok, I happen to have a few of those I just didn't want to throw away. I use them on gates. I'll take a look at one.
Thanks for that. I went through my junk pile already and didn't find anything.

Latest posts

Back