• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint Problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pegro1

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a problem with my flint working loose in the leather pad when clamped in the hammer jaws. Does anyone else have this problem or know a good solution?
Or am I screwed as its a common problem?
Thanks
Jim,

Make sure your leather is thin and hard. An old shoe tongue works well. Sheet lead is the preferred method of holding a flint for some. If you don’t have any sheet take a round ball and pound it out flat and about 1/16" thick and use that. Also make sure you tighten that jaw down fairly tight to eliminate movement.

If you insist on using leather, try to stay away from the commercially tanned leather. Use a thin a piece of leather as you can find. You can buy Chamois cloth, which is leather from that sheep, in the auto parts stores, if you don't have other thin leather. Soak the leather strip you cut to shape, and then put it between two boards and use the jaws of a vise, or C-clamps to squeeze it as thin as possible. When it dries, then wrap the flint.

You do have to check the tightness of the cock screw from time to time with leather, and tighten it down again and again.

If you use lead instead, you only have to tighten it after the first 5 strikes, and it will hold until the flint becomes too short to throw sparks into your pan, and you have to move the flint forward.

Every time you re-set the flint( in both leather and lead) you have to recheck the cockscrew again after about 5 strikes, and frequently thereafter with leather. The thicker the leather, the harder it is to get it to hold tight.

I recommend you obtain a Hawken Shop Flint-tool. it has a small screwdrive blade on its side, and is just the right size tool to tie to your bag so that you can tighten that cockscrew when you need to. :thumbsup:

Beowulf65 said:
I have a problem with my flint working loose in the leather pad when clamped in the hammer jaws. Does anyone else have this problem or know a good solution?
Or am I screwed as its a common problem?
Thanks
Jim,
I've never known it to be a problem at all...common or otherwise.
I never have problems with loose flints and in my opinion its because I DON'T use thin leather...and certainly not a piece of lead.

I use good quality 1/8" leather for flint wraps that has depth to it so it compress tightly down around all the various dimensions of a flint's shape and locks it in place...doesn't come loose until I unscrew the jaw screw to clean the rifle after using it.

Is there any downside to using lead? Like a problem with the extra weight swinging along with the flint?

Don

I know I am going to stir up some disagrement here
but here goes. I bought a big bore military flint
musket last year. It came with several of the military style lead wraps for the flint. I could never quite get the lead screwed down tight enough. It seems that I was constantly re tightining the cock screw. I just don't have to do as much cranking with leather flint wraps.
It seemed that it took much more pressure to hold the big musket flint with the lead wrap.
:bow:

Don. NO, I have found no problem using a lead wrap around my flint in more than 25 years of use. My wrap is much thinner than 1/16" however, and the weight of my wrap on my rifle is about 17 grains, and the one on my new fowler, about 32 grains. At 437.5 grains to the ounce, these weights are insignificant.

The weight does help the flint drive into the frizzen and scrape steel off a properly hardened frizzen face. The lead has the same effect as a lead weighted hammer, in that it prevents the hammer from bouncing on impact. ( Lead(shot) loaded hammers were once referred to has Dead Hammers).

The lead weight also helps to accelerate the fall of the hammer when it passes the top of the arc, and that extra speed helps to cut steel when the edge hits the frizzen face. Because the cock only goes back to about 10:30 o'clock when at full cock, the acceleration on the down side of the fall compensates for the very slight slowing that occurs when extra weight is is back at the full cock notch, and has to " climb " the arc to reach the 12 o'clock position.

All this is helped because the mainspring, on guns with " V-springs ", is compressed the most at full cock, and the release of energy pushes against the weight of the cock, flint, and wrap, the strongest in that position. When the cock comes past 12 o'clock, gravity begins to assist that mainspring, and speed up the fall of the flint.

Locks with coil mainsprings are not going to behave the same as a "V-spring". They do benefit from the added weight abd gravity assisting the fall of the flint to the frizzen, but the coil spring does not usually " stack " its energy at the full cock notch.

I once weighed the leather wrap used by a friend of mine. I believe it weighed about 5 grains less than my old rifle wrap, that has been squeezed, and trimmed over more than 25 years of use, on countless numbers of flints. I have not measured the thickness of my lead wrap, but if you, or anyone else is interested, send me a PM and I will get out the micrometer, and measure if for you.

I don't see the point. My friend's leather wrap was made from thick tanned leather, and it was not trimmed close to the jaws. If he had used raw hide, ( parflette) or at least trimmed down the part sticking past the sides of the jaws, it would have weighed a bit less. My wraps tend to come from balls pulled from the barrel after dry-balling, and I just hammer them on my bench vise anvil until they are flat and thin enough for me to easily bend around my flint. Then I trim the excess lead off with snips or a knife, or both.

I do use a dull knife that is heading to my honing stone to be resharpened, as lead doesn't do the edge any good. No point in ruining a good sharp edge! I do keep an extra flattened piece of lead in my flint wallet that goes in my field bag, just in case. Its not as thin as it should be, but it can be flattened some more when needed.

I have lost a flint out of the cock on one occasion, due to not having checked the cock screw before I fired the gun, after a long period of storage. That, as they say, was operator error! I have seen other shooters hammer the edges of the lead wrap over the sides of the lower jaw, just to keep the wrap from moving sideways, and the flint with it. I will have to do that with my next flint wrap- if I remember to do it.

I don't have a problem using thin tanned leather. I do, however, pick my flints so that they have good "flats" on each side an are as symetrical as possible. Cut out a little notch in the leather where it contacts the cock screw. This give a little better depth and grip.

Any opinion about what kind of leather to use...elk, deer, sheep, springbok?

if shoe tongue can be used, then i will assume it could be anything from water buffalo to mammoth hide :wink: any leather could be used just what works for u is the main thing.

If you don't have an old pair of shoes, ready to throw out, where you can rob the tongues for use, then hit the thrift stores, garage sales, salvation army type stores, and look for old shoes, or even old ladies' purses. The leather from those ( or old wallets) is usually thin enough to use as a wrap for flints.

lolasmom said:
Any opinion about what kind of leather to use...elk, deer, sheep, springbok?
I bought a 2" x 55" finished leather strap from October Country that is normally used for a powder horn...I cut mine out of that.

I cut some then punch a 1/4" hole in the middle of the bend and use those if I have a longer than normal flint so it'll set back another 1/8" allowing the front edge to clear the frizzen.

And I cut some and leave them plain in case a flint wears down a lot but is still sparking good, I'll use one of those to move the flint forward another 1/8" to keep using it.

I'm with RoundBall on this. Piece of 5 oz. leather is the trick (for me :v ). You want the leather to conform around the irregularities of the flint. and crank down that cock screw.

Also like Rich Pierce's suggestion of wetting the leather wrap so it conforms that much better.
Thanks, Rich!
:v

Cut out a little notch in the leather where it contacts the cock screw. This give a little better depth and grip.

I did that but then another shooter showed me the side wrap method. It seems to work a little better.

I believe the Cabalas hawkin's(Investarms) was intended for manufactured fake flints. Thats my take on it anyway.

Diggler said:
I'm with RoundBall on this. Piece of 5 oz. leather is the trick (for me :v ). You want the leather to conform around the irregularities of the flint. and crank down that cock screw.

Also like Rich Pierce's suggestion of wetting the leather wrap so it conforms that much better.
Thanks, Rich!
:v

I concur with Roundball and Diggler. Use a little thicker piece of leather.

I agree I have been using left over scraps from Elk hides I work with for flint leathers and they work great. They keep the flint nice and tight and where it needs to be. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back