• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint striking too high?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was reading Paul V's article on how to shoot flintlocks. In there he stated a flint should strike the frizzen 1/3 to 1/2 the way up the face from the bottom. Looking at my small siler I would say it is striking high. It goes off just fine. I don't believe it eats flints but I have only used three in it and I have not really counted the shots.

What are your thoughts by looking at these pictures? How should I remedy it?

As the flint wears, it will hit lower on the frizzen. If it is working & sparking well, leave it alone. :grin:

Keith Lisle

there is nothing wrong. there is no required location a flint stricks a frizzen. I have had em hit from top to middle and go off just fine

The impact location is good, but you will note a sort of rectangle of pock marks above the marks made by the flint scraping downward? That may indicate that sometimes the flint is striking rather square on the frizzen, possibly rebounding for a tiny fraction of a second, and then coming back into contact with the frizzen face and moving downward.

IF that bothers you..., first try leather to hold the flint if you are using lead. (Lead really only works well in the large, musket locks - imho). Then if it's still doing it, OR if you have a piece of leather in the lock already, take a piece of lead, about 1/8" x 1/8" and about as wide as the width of the lower part of the jaw, and place it under the flint at the very back near the cock-screw. Then tighten down the screw... this will force the back of the flint to remain slightly higher than before, which will cause flint edge to tilt slightly downward, which might give you more of a long scrape on the frizzen instead of the "whack & scrape" you may be getting now.

LD

Latest posts

Back