• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big cop

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi
I picked up some large pieces of Flint while I was at Williamburg Va. and would like to know the best way to make smaller pieces out of it to use in one of my flintlock pistols.
I tried using a hammer to brake it into smaller pieces but no go.

There are many viedo's on youTUBE about flint knapping that offers a wealth of information, here is one that shows how to get started.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyuzh1uaSf4[/youtube]

Note, he is using a "hammer stone" (round rock) to hit with.

My wife and I purchased them with a bunch of other things, I think they were $15.00 for a bag of about 6 pieces.

Thanks for the video, this is sure a great place for information about Muzzleloading.

I wrote an article a while ago for Historical Trekking's "On the Trail" magazine on how I make flints. They might have some old issues.

The basic steps are
1) find some flint. Don't expect to be able to make gunflints from any old odd shaped piece of flint or chert. You need a chunk and to strike off blades that can then be made into gunflints.
2) Shape the piece until it is roughly tapered like a paper cup
3) Strike off blades from the "wide side" or "top" of the paper cup-shaped piece
4) Break the blades into gunflint-width pieces
5) Reshape those pieces as needed.

I now use a piece of steel rod, mild, about 5/8" thick and 6" long to break up nodules and strike off blades. Then I switch to a smaller rod about 3/8" diameter to break the blades and trim as needed. Different tools will work fine. The harder your "baton" the more curved your blades will be where they detach from the core. This is called a "cone of percussion". I need to use steel because the rock I use is tough unless heat treated.

Expect to start with a peck of rocks and get 3 or 4 usable gunflints the first try. With experience and a good nodule to work, say the size of a painted turtle shell, you may eventually get 20-30 gunflints from one rock.

Rich, I understand that flint that is found on the surface won't make good gunflints because it has probably been through too many freeze thaw cycles. What is your experience?

Many Klatch

rich pierce said:
I wrote an article a while ago for Historical Trekking's "On the Trail" magazine on how I make flints. They might have some old issues.

The basic steps are
1) find some flint. Don't expect to be able to make gunflints from any old odd shaped piece of flint or chert. You need a chunk and to strike off blades that can then be made into gunflints.
2) Shape the piece until it is roughly tapered like a paper cup
3) Strike off blades from the "wide side" or "top" of the paper cup-shaped piece
4) Break the blades into gunflint-width pieces
5) Reshape those pieces as needed.

I now use a piece of steel rod, mild, about 5/8" thick and 6" long to break up nodules and strike off blades. Then I switch to a smaller rod about 3/8" diameter to break the blades and trim as needed. Different tools will work fine. The harder your "baton" the more curved your blades will be where they detach from the core. This is called a "cone of percussion". I need to use steel because the rock I use is tough unless heat treated.

Expect to start with a peck of rocks and get 3 or 4 usable gunflints the first try. With experience and a good nodule to work, say the size of a painted turtle shell, you may eventually get 20-30 gunflints from one rock.

I use only Rich's flints in my gun and could never be happier. My 3/4 X 3/4 I got from him a couple days ago spark awesome. Thanks a bunch Rich!!

ROB

Been messing aeound with trying to knap flints.Only thing I have been doing is small flking redoing old worn out stuff I have had laying around..Lot of good info on youtube..Rich have you been using copper before the mild steel as baton's? Any benefit..Hope to find some bigger chuncks of flints to go to the next level..Funny story, few weeks back while steelhead fishing in a northeast Ohio trib I probably spent more time looking the shore line of the stream for some Ohio flint ,found some good candidates but 2 miles from the car had to let some lay until this weekends trip back up..Anyone have any pics on exactly what Ohio flint actually is supposed to look like in raw form? I think the stuff I had might have been the right stuff LOL..Ray

Many Klatch said:
Rich, I understand that flint that is found on the surface won't make good gunflints because it has probably been through too many freeze thaw cycles. What is your experience?

Many Klatch

I tap each potential piece all over, not hard wnough to strike off blades but hard enough to break it if there are defects. Even if some rocks fall apart because of cracks, there are often solid pieces left big enough to work.

On the copper bopper question, some flint/chert will work with copper and other stuff is so tough it would destroy a copper bopper in a day's work. Heat treatment will cure that toughness but for gunflints I don't do it.

Back