• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flinted Unicorn!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Osprey

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, uni-horn at least. :grin:

MVC-013F-2.jpg

Haven't been posting much lately because, well, duh, it's hunting season, but got my sika longrifle working on whitetails this week. Shot this one Sunday evening, first whitey with my flintlock, 80 yard shot. The .440 ball went through one leg bone, both sides of ribs and lungs and was just under the skin on the far side, pretty well flattened. Shot a doe tonight with it but she ran back in the thicket at the edge of dark, cool enough to wait for tomorrow morning to go get here (and wait at daybreak for another to come by first :wink: ). After I get her out I think it's back to sika tomorrow afternoon, normal gun season is in but I really like this gun - I get such a big goofy grin shootin' stuff with it. :thumbsup:

Hello from Germany!

congrats and Waidmanns Heil. A real care shot as we say in Germany, because unicorns have to be taken out of the nature.

Regards

Kirrmeister

Thanks all. Went back this morning and found the doe. Worked the thicket of marsh grass and water bushes for 20 minutes and never found a drop of blood or hair. Was starting to doubt myself, but I found her on the third round through, had walked within 5 feet of her last night in the dark and again today in the light - dang deer fell in a marsh hole about the size of a bathtub, she was buried in the mud and water, only an inch or two of her flank showing above the water surface!! :shake:

Put her on the scales after I field dressed her, she was almost the same size as the buck, both right at 100 lbs.

Looks like you shot the Victor/Victoria of the deer world! :haha:

Bravo on a successful hunt!

Hi Ospreys!

could you use the meat of the doe still, also she was lying so long in that muddhole?

Kirrmeister

Nice job, those .45's are good deer guns, I used to have several of them till I went bonkers for smoothbores.Hope you find the other one.

Yeah, meat was fine, it was in the 30's last night so she's good for meat. Gonna spend tomorrow making some batches of sausage. :grin:

Back