• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flinter in a soaker tomorrow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armymedic.2

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Two friends and i are hitting the deer woods tomorrow. Forecast is rain and lots of it. Ill have my fowler and they will have caplocks. Its a first hunt for one of them. Should be mighty interesting.

I plan to seal up my frizzen /pan with beeswax good . Use a cows knee and try to keep it under my arm as much as i can. Really wishing i had a frock now but oh well.

Ive had it out in wet snow before and drizzle but not rain rain. Should be interesting. Wish my first timer a deer!

Keep us posted. I bet if you follow through on your plan, that gun will go BOOM!

Jeff

its the added challenge of using a flintlock. i think you will be fine.

let us know how it turns out.

-matt

That is how the season ended here 8 Dec,cold miserable, wind driven,rain.
It was bad enough I figured I'd set in the wood and build a fire and when the deer come in to get warm,,he was mine,Didn't happen,but I was warm..
Tonight freezing rain and snow,tomorrow tracking coyotes,,

Howdy!

A woolen matchcoat helped me hunt for 3 hours in the rain once. I didnt shoot a deer, but the flinter fired when we got back to camp.

Kept the gun under the matchcoat the whole time.

If I’m slowly still hunting, or when sitting still for a period of time, I use a ”˜rain cover' over the whole thing.
(cotton duck outer, saturated with a few coats of spray-on Kiwi silicone tent waterproofing, and the liner is army blanket material)
Open along the bottom except for 6" near the muzzle, if still hunting with the muzzle down and need to take a shot, just let go of it and it slides right off.
I use a huge oversized upland game vest as an equipment vest and on days threatening rain, I keep it folded up flat across the width of the rear game pocket.

4010210VirginiaRainCoveropen.jpg

3010210VirginiaRainCoverclosed.jpg

GOod luck!

I was out on saturday and it rained for prob an hour while I was out, just kept her under my arm and it worked fine. Swapped out the powder in the frizen later and fired ok at the end of the hunt as well.

Thanks guys! Roundball that darn near looks like cheatin! :grin: i will admit i eyed one of my gun cases this morning but decided to do without.

I'll post up todays hunt. we were.....productive

Back