• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flinter Jack.......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Stephens

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Went out today to do some exploring on a new place we had just got for hunting. We had a good deer season on it and saw lots of game just haven't really walked the whole place as we did not want to scare our deer off.Now that seasons over it was time to see all it had , found lot's of rubs and scrapes and hidden trails. Took my 32 along for the walk and saw a few squirrels with no shots , heard some turkeys but never saw em.Had some deer walk within several steps before they picked me out and jumped out of their skin.The only shot I had was at a big ol Jack at about 25 or 30 steps , made good on the shot and hit her in the eye. Got her all cleaned up and ready for the pot ( my wife and her crackpot can cook a mean Jack ). I found the ax head on the property in November and carry it all the time now and sure do like it , also found 2 broken arrow heads today....

,,,,,Sam,,,,

My gosh, looks like you butchered a deer. Your, hunting stories, and pictures are very good and entertaining. Keep'em coming. Now, some red maple stain, on the axe handle, and it will match that beautiful rifle.

Some friends and I were discussing the other day wether jack rabbits would be any good to eat. I figured you would be the one to ask. Thanks!

Yes sir it's good I have had it cooked many ways over the years. I will put it in a iron skillet for a few minute then into a crackpot of duchoven for several hours with what ever else is on hand for vegetables and just keep checking it. We don't buy meat at the store we live on deer , elk , bear , turkey , small game , ect, ect. So our taste in foods might not be fit everyone we love bear meat where most don't. The funny thing is most folks like it also til I them it's something that they have heard is not good.....

,,,,Sam,,,

That rabbit must be a female....cause I know fer a fact the male Jackelopes have antlers! Nice find on that axe head, can you spell the lettering out for me and I'll see how old it may be...could be earlier than ye may think! :v

I grew up in the land of jacks, and probably grew tall from eating so much jack chili. No jacks in sight in the frozen north, but we still make lots of chili using snowshoe hare. Hard to beat.

From what we have found it is the trappers ax , I have been carrying it and it is a nice addition to my hunting kit....

,,,,,Sam,,,,,,

Back