• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock 8 pointer in the rain !!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
11/13/08
8-Pointer right at 50yds
T/C Hawken Flintlock
.62cal rifled GM barrel
100grns Goex 2F
Oxyoke wad
.020” pillow ticking / NL1000
Eddie Mayes .600” cast ball

Not the biggest 8 pointer but I’ve sat in the woods for 5 days and was tired of letting deer walk...it was raining when I left the house but I didn’t even hesitate...grabbed the Flintlock and rain gear and got on stand at 11:30am. I kept the lock area up under my rain jacket like normal and refreshed the prime periodically.

The woods had been dead quiet except for the rain then I heard a muzzleloader way off in the distance...checked my watch and it was 2:30pm...couple minutes later heard another boom off in the distance in a different direction...and not 5 minutes after that heard a 3rd muzzleloader go off in the distance from a different direction. I had no sooner begun thinking the thought that this might be one of those “major activity” time slots when I caught movement through the trees way off on my left and here comes this 8 pointer.

He was on a line that would cross left to right in front of me at about 50 yards. I got ready, set the trigger, slipped off the hammer stall and when he began entering my “front space” I whistled but he came to a stop behind trees...he started walking again, I whistled again, and again he came to a stop behind trees...I had one fairly open alley left and knew I would have to shoot him while he was walking...got the rifle pre-aimed down that alley, he started walking again and as soon as I saw his shoulder enter the alley I touched the set trigger...in spite of all the rain, when I needed the Flintlock to do its thing, ignition was instantaneous and down he went.

Bucks have definitely started cruising for does here...saw one small buck chasing a doe about 1:00pm, shot this one at 2:30, and saw two more bucks before dark...all from a natural blind with only 60 yards visibility in any direction, in an Oak flat adjacent to a huge re-growth clear-cut area. One of the other bucks was smaller than this, and the other one was huge...a real shooter...may have been a 10-12 pointer but light was so bad I couldn’t tell..had huge long, wide main beams that curved way out around in front of his head more obvious than any buck I've ever seen.

Anyway, today was a real Flintlock milestone...I’ve been caught out in showers while hunting with a Flintlock before, but this was the first time I actually left the house with a Flintlock in complete confidence, knowing it was already raining and would continue to be raining all day, and the Flintlock worked perfectly when I called on it.

1113088pointerRifled62calPRBcropped.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello from Germany!

You did a fine job Round Ball and your rifle did it too. Congrats and Waidmanns Heil. BTW where did you hit the buck and was there an exit of the bullet?

Regards

Kirrmeister

Congratulations Roundball. That is a true trophy Whitetail deer, and certainly one you can be so proud you took with your flintlock. This is what hunting is all about. I could feel your satisfaction in your account. :thumbsup:

I hope you consider at least having a rack mount made of that set of antlers, rather than donating them to charity or garbage. Its too bad you are not interested in cooking venison. That deer has some prime tenderloins, and sirloins, as well a couple of good rump roasts in him. And, fresh deer liver just cannot be beat!

Thank you for sharing your hunt with us. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

paulvallandigham said:
Thank you for sharing your hunt with us. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Yes indeed, Roundball...thank you for sharing that great hunt with us..Now that's hunting :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Way to go Roundball! Beautiful buck for sure there! Indiana's regular gun season starts this Saturday and I can't wait to trade my bow in for my front-stuffer. Thanks for sharing this with us! :applause:

Nice going RoundBall, looks like those flintlocks wil go off in the rain after all, nice deer and cpngrats for doing it the traditional way, it may help give others confidence in the old ways, we may yet "keep Tradition Alive" hope you get some more shooting if you have any season left.I let five does go by less than twenty yds during this years regular season... had a buck tag...some years are like that, it was still fun hunting in my miniskirt,with my Fusil.

Kirrmeister said:
BTW where did you hit the buck and was there an exit of the bullet?
Actually I was trying to hold on his heart while he was walking through the trees and as I was twisting in the chair I ended up pushing the shot higher above the heart...the good news is that it went through both shoulders and he dropped in his tracks...that big .600"/325grn ball is a lot of mass once it gets going

Nie deer.....congrat's! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What powder do you use in the pan under wet, rainy conditions?

It looks like tomorrow, the New York State opening day, is going to be a very wet one. :(

Bald Mtn Man said:
What powder do you use in the pan under wet, rainy conditions?
I always used Goex 4F...on days of drizzle and/or high humidity I refresh it about every 30 minutes before it 'cakes up'...as long as it slides back and forth in the pan OK, it's fine...but as soon as it even looks like it's hesitating before breaking loose and sliding I change it.

Very simple and fast to do...I keep a pocket pan primer tethered in a shirt pocket...I dump the old, flick the mouth of the vent with a tiny brush to ensure no old 4F is sitting there, and add 3grns fresh from the pan primer...keep the muzzle down at all times, and move the lock area up under the rain jacket

Thanks.
That's about the same thing that I do, but I've read about going to FFFg or even FFg in rainy conditions. I think that I'll stick to the FFFFg.

Back