• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock and Coyotes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
playfarmers said:
I took one coyote years ago with my old .50 Deerstalker, and this year I hammered one and flipped another over with my wife's .50 Traditions Deerhunter. I felt horrible about wounding the one, but great about getting the first one. We have so many around here, that they are taking deer, and even packing up in the winter and really playing he-- with the deer. I will be heading out calling this winter, but will be using a modern rifle to level the playing field.

I wouldnt feel terrible about wounding one, they dont feel terrible about eating my goats, sheep, and deer alive. Wounded and crawling off, dead right there, or killed in the womb, kill every one of them your see! Thanks!

Micanopy said:
I wouldnt feel terrible about wounding one, they dont feel terrible about eating my goats, sheep, and deer alive. Wounded and crawling off, dead right there, or killed in the womb, kill every one of them your see! Thanks!

This is another great thing about coyotes, I have never met a rancher yet that would not let me hunt yotes on his land. Then when they find out I'm good at it and a good guy it often leads to permission to hunt deer and quail as long as I keep shooting yotes too. Chris

August West said:
Micanopy said:

This is another great thing about coyotes, I have never met a rancher yet that would not let me hunt yotes on his land. Then when they find out I'm good at it and a good guy it often leads to permission to hunt deer and quail as long as I keep shooting yotes too. Chris

That's what I do too. I have a bunch of ranchers I kill the coyotes for. I tried a ML to do it this year, but it's not effective enough. I need to get the job done fast and I get too many 300 yd shots to use a ML. I had to go back to a .223

If they hunt deer like domestic dogs, they'll definitely run them to death. I've witnessed it with 2 dogs no bigger than 'yotes. The buck was a good 1/4 mile ahead, running HARD. The dogs just had to track him and keep him moving until he couldn't run anymore. I found him a week later with the rump eaten off. If I had a rifle, I could have changed the outcome. Shoot them all.

They also go into a calf barn next door to get calf feed, not the calves (yet).

bowkill said:
223......? so many things wrong here i dare not say....lol :nono:

Nothing is wrong. It gets the job done better than any ML, and it lets me hunt private land in the fall for deer with a ML.

It's a means to an end.

My pops taught me to always use the proper tool for the job.

August West said:
I am one of the rare people who like coyotes, one of my favorite animals to hunt, I would be very upset if they were all gone. I have called in and killed a few with a caplock but none with a flinter. Chris

X2...I'm part of that rare breed as well.I also got a couple with caplock....don't own a flinter(yet).

They are THE most challenging game we have in our woods to hunt,bar none imho.Calling yotes here in the East makes calling deer and moose seem like child's play.

123.DieselBenz said:
bowkill said:
223......? so many things wrong here i dare not say....lol :nono:

Yeah, it sure would be a puny ramrod, but think of the powder savings! :grin:

Now you're catching on. It's much cheaper to reload than a ML, and I have 400 yds more range. The ranchers don't want to see me having fun shooting a ML. They want dead coyotes. Most of them are hunters and they know what kind of gun I should be using.

Back