• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock and severe drought

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hunt in GA and really want to hunt with my flintlock. However we are in the midst of a severe drought, complete with fire danger and water bans. My gut tells me to not try it right now because it is so dry, what do y'all think?

Thanks, Steve

What Skychief said.. :thumbsup:
I also hang around awhile and police the area after a shot..
I did set leaves on fire once with a shot...It could have gotten out of control if I had moved on...I clean between shots....combined with reloading, I spend some time in the area....I also return to the point where I made the shot and look for the patch.

Just as dry here Steve. I have been shooting every weekend with zero problem. Lube lots an hang around like already said. If it dont catch withing couple mins your good to go :thumbsup: Now go kill something with that Bruton gun :hatsoff:

A couple of things. Yes a well lubed patch will probably not continue to smolder, but I have seen them do so. Plus there is a lot of fire coming out of the muzzle regardless if you used a conical or a patched round ball.

So..., you might stick with 3Fg if possible as it tends to burn faster and if it ever clumps it won't be nearly as big a clump as you'd get with 2Fg.

You might try putting a felt wad that was soaked in a borax solution then allowed to dry, between your powder and your patched ball. Would keep the flame away from the patch.

And as suggested just be alert to the direction you shoot in case you get a spark that lands. Also remember that when you are standing there is more distance for the ignited powder to travel before it hits the ground so more chance of a burnout, than if you're sitting/kneeling. In your conditions if you're firing prone..., you're going to ignite some brush. If standing use a tree to help steady your aim for a 50 yard shot or farther.

LD

My best load for my .54 is 75gr 3f and lubed cushion wad with prb so I guess I've taken all the precautions as far as loading is concerned. Thanks every one

Since we're talking about a flintlock, be careful to notice dry vegetation beside you on the lock side.
The blast of flame coming out of the vent hole can do great mischief.

Telling a little story about Musketman's adventure with his Bess, if I may.

He was having a great time shooting it but decided that maybe the accuracy would be improved if he found some support for the gun.

There happened to be some old hay bails handy so he rested the gun on top and touched her off.

It didn't take long after the shot for him to notice the smoke wasn't decreasing.
That's because the hay bail was burning. :rotf:

Getting back to your question, only you know if your patches are smoldering after they are shot.

Some people have a problem with this and some don't.

If your patches don't have this problem you are probably safe shooting your flintlock when you are hunting.
Just keep a close eye on dry vegetation in front and to the side of you before you touch it off.

I live and hunt in Ga. and for 20 years have hunted exclusively with flintlock rifles. Due to the drought, I keep a close eye out for sparks that might ignite leaves. So far, there have been no issues. I thoroughly soak my patches in bear grease.

Back