• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

flintlock converted to percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwhite

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi me again;
This is the flintlock converted to percussion fire arm.
It is a Springfield Model 1835. The conversion type is Belgian. (I have Flayderman's book.)Gun is in what I consider great shape, is 69 caliber has a 35" barrel length (measured from the end of the barrel to the end of the tang where a screw is used to secure it to the stock.This barrel is pinned to the stock no bands are on the gun.However there is a marking on the stock that was probably made from a band at one time.
Barrel is round and smooth bore, no rifling.The stock looks like it may have been filed or cut down in the area behind the breech where one would take aim. Almost like the shooter may have been left eye dominant.

Thanks
Dave White

This as the flintlock was my great grandfathers and I would like to know some history and possible value. I do have pictures if some one is interested in having a look.

I suspect this may have had a 42 inch barrel at one time, I had one of these muskets (as seen in my profile, click the icon) once...

I still have the lock for it, its a little bit rusted but everything is still solid...

My musket was also rifled when they converted it to percussion...

You can stick your little finger in the barrel to feel them, they are set back in about an inch...

Mine was made in 1838, I know where there is a 1834 flint lock, but he won't sell it...
frown.gif

My musket was converted prior to the Civil War, it has a letter "P" inside a circle stamped on the lock above the crown...

I was told this was the proof stamp done at Harpers Ferry Plant, I'm not sure how true that was, but it sounded good...

p.s.
Do you meed a round ball mold for it? (.678)
I have one, less the handles...
Yet me know if you are wanting it...

Thank you musketman for your response. I have been told that it was common to cut the barrels back to accomodate the person shooting. I don't plan at this time to shoot this gun as I am not sure it is in good enough shape to be shot. Also I haven't a clue as to what I am doing with this type of firearm.

I have also read that it is best to leave the conversion and not switch back to the flintlock. As this can cause more damage and decrease the value of the fire arm.

Dave

quote:Originally posted by Dwhite:
I have also read that it is best to leave the conversion and not switch back to the flintlock. As this can cause more damage and decrease the value of the fire arm.This is true, for whatever reason it was converted (more than likely, arming up for the upcomming Civil War) it is a part of that era of history and should be preserved.

Back