• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Doe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rancher

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Got this doe on an SGL on Saturday. Started up the hill at about 7:30am. About half way up the hill I watched a chipmunk running across a log. I look further up the path and a fisher is coming straight towards me and then darts after the chipmunk. It quickly gave up the chase and came within 20 yards before it took off up the hill.

When I got close to the top of the hill I spotted two does, but they were locked on me so I didn't even bring the gun up. I sat down for about an hour or so in some grape tangle with good sign and where I usually see deer.

I then decided to take a walk along the ridge and try to find the path that leads through a thick clearcut to the opposite ridge. As I was walking slowly along the edge of the clearcut I spotted two does walking in my direction. I got down on one knee and let her keep coming. Just then my phone goes off in my pocket and I had forgotten to take it off loud. I pushed my hand into it and it finally shut off. The doe took no notice to it luckily. When she was getting close I picked out a large white oak that she would cross behind and when she did I cocked the hammer, set the trigger, and brought the gun up.

I let her take a few steps beyond the oak, gave her a bleat and took the 20 yard shot. She took off in the opposite direction and just after she crested the ridge I heard her crash. I reloaded and followed the short 40 yard blood trail to where she crashed. The .54 caliber round ball took out the shoulder and took off the top of the heart. This is the second deer I have took with this gun and so far have been impressed with the damage. I recovered the ball and will post pics later. I'm using 80 grains of FFg and a pillow ticking patch under a Hornady round ball. The phone call ended up being from Nater and he was only about 100 yards away and helped me field dress her and carried my gun down to the truck. Thanks Nater! Here are some pics.

flintlock11.jpg

018jp.jpg

Great story and a nice doe.

You guys with early muzzleloader seasons really have it good. Other than the general gun season, which doesn't start for another two weeks yet in Minnesota, our Muzzleloader only season isn't until December...and in my area, if you already shot one deer, you're done.

Man, just one deer? for the whole season? Glad I live down here. I can shoot 2 does a day from Nov.14 to Jan. 31 with a muzzleloader. Not that I want too, but I would like to get 3 or 4 though. BTW Rancher nice shootin' meat in the Freezer!.

Great hunt, great story, great photos!
Excellent work, and congratulations !
:hatsoff:

Man that is sweet, makes me want my own flintlock even more! Here in Georgia we can take 10 does and 2 bucks a season and it runs from archery in september, one week ML in early October to modern rifle from October to the first of January, you can hunt with archery equipment all seaon and ML from the start of ML season to the end of modern gun season.

lorren68 said:
one week ML in early October to modern rifle from October to the first of January, you can hunt with archery equipment all seaon and ML from the start of ML season to the end of modern gun season.

and chase pigs with it during small game. Somewhere in late March. :thumbsup:

Oh and I was using Stumpkiller's recipe for moose juice as a patch lube. Love the stuff!

Back