• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Doe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHickam

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Deerhuntandfarm008.jpg

Deerhuntandfarm009.jpg

It had been raining for a few days and I had been unable to get out to the woodlot to hunt deer. But, this afternoon the sun came out and the afternoon was pleasant. I decided to don my period dress, grab my 49 cal Early VA rifle and see if I could ambush a deer from my perch in a live oak tree.

The woods were alive with animals running to and fro and gathering food. The cardinals and sparrows and other birds flitted from tree to tree, overhead the sound of sandhill cranes could be heard and I strained to see the large flight in the clear sky. Squirrels ran from tree to tree and the woodlot was peaceful. Here and there a small rivulet of water washed towards the big creek drainage below my hiding place. I scanned the woods, listening - straining to hear the soft footfalls of the big buck that was frequenting the wood lot. I scanned the big meadow and of to the left I heard a noise - I turned to see a nice doe standing broadside 25 yds away from my hiding place, I turned ever so slightly and cocked the hammer the sound of the sear engaging the tumbler made an audible click and the doe looked in my direction - but I was about 10 ft up in a live oak tree and she did not see me. I settled the sight behind her shoulder and squeezed the trigger - the thundering boom of 100 grs of FFg sending the .480 RB on its way, echoed through the woodlot - the doe jumped and almost stumbled and as I made my way down the tree I was certain it had been a good shot.

I reloaded and walked over to where I thought she had been standing and scanned the leaves and debris on the ground, bright red blood indicating a lung shot, was easily seen and I followed the easy blood trail to where the doe lay lifeless about 40 yds away.

I kneeled and gave thanks to the Great Spirit and Master of all Life and the deer for the gift of life.

I rolled her over and found that the ball had passed completely through.

Dan'l Hickham

Sounds like a perfect day. Congratulations. And another lefty to boot. My next chance is the end of the month in Illinois. Hoping for a little bit of snow.

Great story and I appreciate how you express your appreciation for the gift of the deer.

A perfect hunt. I think the humility one shows in that private moment they stand over their downed quarry speaks volumes about their character and true love of the hunt and appreciation of the gift. It's one of the things I hate about most of the hunting TV shows...no respect shown for the life they've taken. May many more come your way.

Very nice. I have always felt a little remorse when walking up on an animal I have just killed. It's always awesome to me the size of the game, and how beautiful they are. And I always thank God.

Thank you for sharing. Great pics of the scenery and your harvest. Congratulations. Nice looking rifle also.

Congratulations, our late season flintlock starts monday after xmas I'll be out looking to do the same.

Back