• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Fox

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Egler

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Got a fox!

I'm not very good at fox hunting :redface: , so that's not actually a common occurance, despite effort.

Flintlock, 54 smoothbore, 3/4 oz BB shot in paper shot cup, 2 overpowder wads, 60g FFg, at about 10 yards. (That's lead BB shot, not steel BBs)

When I shot him he just stood there looking at me, seemingly completely unharmed, for about 2 seconds, and I'm thinking "how the heck can I miss from 10 yards!", then he fell over dead.

:grin: :grin:

fox Jan 2009.jpg

my fox2.jpg

Thanks! It was just after dawn, I didn't get around to taking pictures until later.

Yep, drying the pelt now!

Nice. :thumbsup: I don't know what I'm more jealous of, the fox or the open, snowless woods. We have so much snow up here now that even snowshoeing is difficult.

Nice job :thumbsup: :hatsoff: . Them lil buggers are sneaky.
Thought for a second the other day maybe I was gonna get one. I was out tryin to wack a coyote and was playin around with one of those lil mouse squeeker thingys. Saw some movement, and it was a fox checkin me out. He hung around for about 10 sec, and dissapeared without giving me a shot. It was the first and only fox I`ve ever called in. Got me to wonderin though how many others have sneaked in to check me out and dissapeared without me knowin.
Congrates again. That fellers gonna make a pretty hide. :hatsoff:

Atta Boy! Congrats! :thumbsup: Really nice fox!

.....and I'll second XXX's comment,,no snow looks GREAT!

:thumbsup: Very nice indeed! Congratulations on a fine trophy. I called in 2 coyotes once just fooling around and was unarmed at the time, so no shot. Was just trying out the calls. Will be going out Tuesday for coyotes. Thanks for sharing.

I know you can't see it, but those pics and the story just put a big grin on my face. Congratulations!

FWIW,
Grey fox have rather interesting skulls. You might like prepping the skull too. Many ways to do it, but the easiest will be to skin it, deflesh everything you can (tongue, eyes, and all muscles you can get off), then put it in a bucket of water for a month or two. Rinse with deterent and water and then just plain water and finally scrape or power wash it.

Brent

Thanks to everyone!

Brent, my daughter is a zoologist and she has a collection of skulls for various species. She often comes over to the house to boil the remaining tissue off, since for some odd reason she can’t do that at her apartment. Being upwind of the pot during this procedure is highly recommended! :grin:

Beautiful Fox! :thumbsup:
Haven't seen too many here since the yotes took over.
Perhaps an outdoor cooker would be more nasal freindly? :haha:

Looks like a reason to make a new pouch or somethin'.
Nice job, we see far more coyote than fox these days.
Dusty
:v :hatsoff:

Back