• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock hunt ...planning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinemarten

40 Cal.
Reaction score
The hunt in the U.P. Michigan is about a week long and spans 2 weekends. I got out a bit the first weekend but had family stuff going on. Now I have a 3 day weekend and am wondering what kind of mischief I might get myself into! I have my flintlock, hudson bay blankets, other supplies (not PC probably). I love to track bucks in the snow. My ideas are ranging from a snug comfy house sleep and out during each day of the weekend to hunt all the way to a trekking sort of adventure with a blanket over my shoulder, some dehydrated grub, my light canvas tarp, essential pipe and tobacco, a cooking pot, and knife. Just head out the door and walk the ridges until I strike a track; sleep where night catches me. Of course, sometimes I love to daydream of these things in my head. Its like I'm 10 years old again and dreaming of being Boone or Kenton! I am glad for the passion. Supposed to be a snow storm coming in and temps getting into the teens. (As I get older the comfy bed option wins out more and more!!) Maybe I'll surprise myself...I'll let you know if I do and post some pics. Anyone else spend there days daydreaming of such things like they were a kid? I love it! Share your flintlock daydreams if you'd like... I can't wait for the weekend...just one more day of work!!!

Dan

As much as I yearn for the adventure, I'm not sure that my body is up to it. :surrender: Sleeping where its warm and dry and not lugging around too much stuff has its attraction. :haha:

I hunt with a flintlock musket for everything. I still dream about trips like you do, but at 84 there's too much inertia to overcome. I hunt mostly northern lower mich and that gets cold enough. However I'm packing for one more foray this season. graybeard

I dream about getting out with a fine stickbow or flintlock all the time while at work...er sleeping. :grin: Unfortunately, my back is long past laying on the cold ground for the night! :( So my forays are daytime only...to a comfortable bed at night.

11762626223_7c86a7eef2_c.jpg

Single digits and snow..time to rethink..
The better you take of your body now the longer in life you will be able to hunt..
Would love to track a deer down... with my luck I'd shoot a bruiser in the middle of a wet cedar swamp. That's when the fun is over.
I vote for the warm sleep..get up early and go deep.....hunt your way back out.
or a canvas tent with a wood stove is comfy...
consider a base camp and range out from there.
Mid fall grouse hunting would work with blankets...
Nothing in this world like roaming with a flintlock...Dream on!
PB210218_zpsxrb3kywp.jpg

Back