• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Hunting in northern Florida

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well my wife and I have finally decided on the move from this frozen hell south :grin: We are aiming for the pan handle of florida. I would like know the primitive hunting opportunities, Hunting friendly people, and places of public access? Whats the minimum caliber allowed? And mostly what can I kill and eat and how many seconds can I have on my plate. Im a meat hunter strictly you cant eat antlers. Thanks guys.

Hello:

Although I have not hunted northern Florida personally I have always been interested in the Panhandle area because they have this special late muzzleloader season. It runs in the month of February but it is bucks only with at least one antler three points on one side.

Maine will be a huge contrast because the South has a long tradition of hunting clubs and leased land. As a life long New Englander, I don't think twice about hunting on any land that doesn't have a posted sign. That is legal here as well as culturally acceptable. Not so in the South. As an example, armed trespass in Florida is a felony with a penalty of up to 5000 dollars in fines and or five years in jail. I chatted with one fellow at a gun shop who was able to get out of that mess after 20K in legal fees.

I recall that any type of muzzleloader, rifle or handgun above 40 caliber is legal for the specialized muzzleloading season.

Ages ago I used to go to south Florida to hunt wild boar on a ranch. I learned quite a bit about hunting in the Sunshine State. I recall my guide friend telling me that he hunted near the Georgia-Florida-Alabama line at a place called Blackwater. He told me it has some hilly terrain of sorts.

I am sure others on this board will fill you in on more details and maybe people who actually put feet on the ground.

Shine you'll do fine down South. :wink: What you will find is the lack opportunities to participate in all those great rondys you guys have in the great North country. Unless you plan to travel back up for them. Anyway as stated above Georgia and Alabama both have a ton of deer down in the Southern parts of the states. Be prepared for swamp hunting and a lot of muddy areas. I know the area near Tallassee and over near Live Oak Fl. have quite a few deer as well.I'm not sure of the public land available in Florida or Georgia, but Alabama has several WMA's in the Southern part of the state. Oh I forgot to mention there's a ton of hogs down that way too. I don't think seconds will be an issue. :wink: They do have one good rondy in Florida which you may be aware of "Alafia" just to the NW of the Big "O" it's held in Feb. each year. By the way how's your Spanish??? :idunno: :haha: :wink:

The Panhandle has, on average, the largest deer in Fla. They are the same race as the deer in So. Ga. and Alabama. There are ample hunting opportunities available there.
.40 cal. is the smallest you can use while hunting deer. Any caliber is OK for other animals. Bears are currently protected so you'll probably see plenty of them. It is OK to use a muzzleloader during any hunting season except archery.
The regs are currently being revised as to size of legal bucks in the Panhandle. North of I-10 the bucks have to have at least forks or better (still in limbo). South of I-10 the buck regs allow smaller bucks (still in limbo).

They have a semi-winter in the Panhandle with stalled cold fronts, days of rain, and occasional snow flakes. Winter temps avg. 20s-70s.

I killed a small buck in Apalachicola NF last month. No draw needed to hunt there. There are ~ 3/4 million acres of public land to hunt in the Panhandle.

That's great info guys keep it coming. Im very familiar with the tropics and swamps. lets just say im well traveled for a maine boy. I just never made it to florida but I will be settling there by fall. Im writing this as im getting ready to move another foot of snow we got last night. Oh we got 2 feet on Friday. I have over 4 feet in my back yard. I hunted all November and never saw a deer. We are down to one per square mile now. And im fluent in Spanish. I spent time in panama. :thumbsup: Im semi retired now I need to start acting it. :grin:

You will love it down here!!. This year there is a NMLRA Territorial on May 2-4 in Ashville, Al. I plan on going for the first time just to see what its all about(maybe do a woodswalk or a shoot)and see what vendors will be there and maybe spend some money. Also, while its a drive I go to the Davey Crocket days in Tenn. Where in the Panhandle are you going to be? I'm 90 miles from Pensacola, Fla.
After doing some checking I find 2 clubs in Fla. One is Jefferson Longrifles in Tallahassee, Fla. and the other one is in Bartow, Fla. called the Florida Frontiersmen. I got them off the Crazy Crow web sight.

Cmon down shine
As said tons of public land, 2 deer a day, .40 and larger, late rut, extra BP season (late) in the pan handle. Lots of dog hunting during modern gun season. The Panhandle is the only part of the sate worth living in IMO.
Give me a shout when you get settled, Maybe we can get together and take a few deer or pigs with the smoke poles. :thumbsup:

I will take you up on that offer thankyou. We are coming down for sure. the house is going up for sale as soon as the snow melts enough to see it. My beagle will have a ball. I snowshoed for miles the other day and never cut a rabbit track.

Jackson County is close the Apalachicola NF. LOTS of good hunting there.

There's several other good WMA's in the area too.

If you feel like joining a club there's a metric manure load of them in all shapes, sizes, and prices in the area.

Not as many hogs up that way compared to the big bend area and parts south but they are most certainly there.

I'm born and raised in Pensacola and now live about 60 miles west in Daphne, AL. It sounds like most people have gotten you acquainted with the laws, etc. The culture here is mostly revolving around hunting clubs/leased land. However, there are plenty of opportunities on public property. Blackwater river is to the west of you, Eglin Air Force base offers some great opportunities as well - I've seen very nice deer taken from there. The season is extremely long compared to other northern states, which gives ample time to get out in the woods...although this does pressure the deer quite a bit. I will say my favorite time to hunt was the special muzzleloader season that ran in Feb. Not a lot of hunting pressure, and the rut actually is just getting started. Oh, and did I mention I wore short sleeves all day today? Welcome to our little piece of paradise.

Anywhere from $800 to $2000 per year...just depends on the location, acreage, number of members, etc. Before you commit to any of them, I'd get a tour, meet some members and get a copy of their rules. Meat hunting clubs are usually cheaper, but don't plan on bagging a biggin'

I'm purely a meat hunter I once killed a 245 pound buck. I used the 12 point rack to make knife handles . I'm thrilled to hunt pig. They make them out of pork you know. Lol

I live about 150 miles south of Tallahassee and we have many hogs.

Here's my Boykin "hog dog" with one she bayed up.

This isn't a big buck in Maine but it's big for a public land buck here. It was killed in Apalachicola NF.

Deer season is still open in the panhandle.

Life's fun in the south, wait till first time you get to try ducking a wandering hurricane! Just having fun with you, soon as you hear it's coming anywhere near your area. Throw the wife, cats, dogs, kids, whatever you got in the car and go visit St.Louis! Don't be brave or cute.

Seriously, it's just a chancy thing and you can't let it make you give up. Enjoy where you are and hunt the heck out of it. It's all good! :wink:

Like I said maine is down to 1 deer per square mile. The granolas from out of state will succeed in ending bear season this year. Oh the Libs want to outlaw lead. Its time for me to go. A big maine buck is of no use if you only kill one per decade. I already hunt in PA for my meat. As for hurricanes I rode one out in Haiti in a tent. Now if I have the option ill scoot and come back when the rain stops.

you will like jackson county, its pretty country. no lack of hunting and fishing spots and it seems that hunting pressure on public land was way down this year probably due to so many joining clubs.

good luck and welcome to the sand pile.

creek

Pat, where in the ANF was it killed?
are you familiar with bradwells bay, porter lake or white head lake?? I live in the forest in that area.

creek

Latest posts

Back