• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Hunting in northern Florida

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those two pictures pretty much sum up hunting the panhandle! Looks like you had a nice season :thumbsup:

Also, you're pretty close to AL and they also have some great opportunities for deer and turkey. I believe Conecuh NF is close to ya...which of course is public. The only negative about being a FL resident is AL sticks it to the non-residents on the license fees...

I killed that south of Bradwell's Bay between the Ochlockonee and Sopchoppy rivers. It was in Jan. of 2013.

I had my best year this year. I got 7 total.

you likely came right past my place then, i am on fh 13 just before hwy 375, the road front is plowed where we i grow sugar cane and the mill is visible from the road. did you camp out of one of the lakes north of sopchoppy? that is a nice buck anywhere but a real fine river bottom buck.

creek

I wish the old WGWD 93.3 was still around in it's old form. I use to love going up there for the late muzzleloader and sitting around a fire listening to that station.

If you ever heard them play the Ballad of Grayton Jackson for the boys at the Hog-pen Camp, that was us.

if you like the river bottoms let me know, i have a spot me and a freind used to hunt together and he said he only saw one other hunter in there this year.

creek

ol' gabby you say !! that song was based on a character from the county Shine is planning on settling in, the shining tradition has stayed strong in that area, even before the moonshiners series birthed a revival of sorts.

creek

About five years ago I put an offer on 120 acres near TWO EGG up there but it wasn't accepted. They want a lot for that Jackson County farm land.

stuartg said:
Also, you're pretty close to AL and they also have some great opportunities for deer and turkey. I believe Conecuh NF is close to ya...which of course is public. The only negative about being a FL resident is AL sticks it to the non-residents on the license fees...

I have not checked the reciprocal price of non resident licenses but many states now sort of stick it to the hunter. I know things have gone up but a good example is Connecticut. I hunt the bow and arrow season so that is 150 bucks. If I do want to hunt with the muzzleloader during the muzzleloader season it will be an additional 85 for the non resident license and 75 for the tags. One deer on state land or two deer on private land. Add another 75 for the general gun so you can rack up over 400 bucks if you hunt all three seasons.

the last i knew fl, ga and al didnt recipricate but i think you can get one in ga for a limited number of days at a reduced rate.

creek

There is certainly no reciprocity between the states down here. If you cross the state line you get pretty much worked over. Florida likes to nickel and dime folks with all the different types of licenses, stamps, etc. Alabama just gives it to ya all at once!

Link

Link

This'll tell you all you need to know about Jackson County. North Florida is a good place. Good folks. Good living. At least till the Yankee's from Joisy and New York figure it out.

Until I was laid low by a stroke, I hunted out of Porter Lake Camp, North of Sopchoppy and West of Crawfordville, in the Appilacacola National Forest, 600,000 acres of black water swamps. Good memories and good friends...Robin

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back