• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Hunting Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnCanadian

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking at probably a 32 cal flintlock for plinking and small game. I really like the Pennsylvania rifle from pedersoli, but I'm wondering if it might not be easier to maneuver something smaller in thick brush (I don't have a dog).
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

The other question is if there any way I could do rabbit, raccoon, and fox without too much wasted meat on a 50 cal flintlock.

Thanks in advance,
John

JohnCanadian said:
The other question is if there any way I could do rabbit, raccoon, and fox without too much wasted meat on a 50 cal flintlock.

Head shots.

If I were looking for a gun to do small game up to fox / coyote, I'd pick a .36 or maybe a .40. Would still need to do head shots on small game, but might be more lethal on the larger "small" game.

I regularly use 30, 32 and 36 cal for small game. The 30 has a 42" barrel, the 36 a 39" barrel, and the 32 has a 32" barrel.

Most of my snowshoe hare hunting is in tight cover. Much as I love the 30 and 36, that little 32 (Traditions Crockett) get most of the hunting. If it had a 28" barrel, I'd be even happier.

Can't tell you how many times longer barrels have snagged on brush, especially if the critter was moving a little every few seconds before sitting still again. Following along over the sights waiting for the next pause, that long barrel seems to have radar for limbs in the way.

I don't think it's really a problem when shooting. Moving can be a bit more complicated. My bunny gun currently has a 42" barrel (16 gauge smoothbore). If you're using a rifle you're probably going to wait out for holding rabbits. That gives you time to line up and you won't be swinging for running shots.

My rifle has a 44" barrel and I whitetail hunt in pretty close cover.

Load down a .50 with 35 or 40 grains of FFg and it will make a good small game gun. My .54 is zeroed at 85 yards with my hunting load but a squib load of 42 gr (what a spent .45 Colt case holds) is dead on at 25 yards. It still disrupts a lot of flesh; especially if you hit bone. If you're saving pelts the .32 would be the way to go.

Pedersoli has a .32 short rifle that they call their Scout . . . and it fits me perfectly. I am 5'10 195 lbs . . ,

I don't own one, I am building a full size .32, BUT the Scout has tempted me many many times. In fact, were I not left handed . . I would probably have bought the Scout in flint instead. . but I chose to go with a LH 32 . . . which meant custom.

You may want to look into the Pedersoli Scout . . I am not a patch box fan especially on a nice piece of wood, like Persoli's walnut, but they have ones the same size with a Patchbox that I think they call a dixie or cub and I think they come in 32 or 36 also.

JohnCanadian said:
I'm looking at probably a 32 cal flintlock for plinking and small game. I really like the Pennsylvania rifle from pedersoli, but I'm wondering if it might not be easier to maneuver something smaller in thick brush (I don't have a dog).
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,
John

Hi John,
Will you be buying the Pedersoli from Shooters Choice in K.W. by chance?
Thats where I bought my Pedersoli Friontier .32 flintlock from.
Great quality flinter, you'll be very happy.
I'll be going out over Xmas for wabbits and other such critters :wink:

Back