• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Hunting Questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When on a deer stand, do you leave your rifle on half-cock, or do you leave it fully cocked (I am usually in a treestand)? Do many of you hunt out of treestands with long-barreled rifles?

Dixie Flinter said:
When on a deer stand, do you leave your rifle on half-cock, or do you leave it fully cocked (I am usually in a treestand)? Do many of you hunt out of treestands with long-barreled rifles?

I am totally against tree stands! (tongue in cheek)

Half cock with hammer stall on. I see a deer the hammer stall comes off real easy and I do a "Hunters cock" Where you pull the trigger as you cock the gun, slowly release the trigger. You'll have a silently cocked gun ready to fire. :thumbsup:

I probably should add, if you never done this hunters cock before, practice! Some may want to leave the hammer stall on while cocking the gun too.

was told long ago "do it in practice, do it in the game", treat the gun same as I do at the range or on a woodswalk, never have it at full cock till I'm ready to shoot...(an NO set trigger! personal chioce!) :wink:
an, yup sometimes hunt outa trestands w/ a long rifle,,,,,matter of fact, only hunt with long rifle flinter..walk stalk sit climb sneak sit,an stand :thumbsup:

Half-cock while waiting.

I rarely ever hunt from a treestand any more, but if I did I don't think a long rifle would make much difference.

I actually hunt in a "box" about 12' up in a huge white pine tree. I get up there with a ladder made of 2x4's, soit isn't quite as dangerous as climbing up the tree or pegs in the tree. I usually cock the hammer on my flinter after it is up to my shoulder, right when I want the deer to stop. It has always stopped them in their tracks so that I have a still shot.

Hunsfoot 1 said:
I actually hunt in a "box" about 12' up in a huge white pine tree. I get up there with a ladder made of 2x4's, soit isn't quite as dangerous as climbing up the tree or pegs in the tree. I usually cock the hammer on my flinter after it is up to my shoulder, right when I want the deer to stop. It has always stopped them in their tracks so that I have a still shot.

Well I'm glad your geting away with that. But I seen deer run like hell and they didn't stick around to see where that click come from. I'd much rather cock silently and grunt/whistle/yell to stop the deer.

The deer around here almost always stop every couple of steps all by their self. That is, unless they're running from something. Then they're just as likely to kick it up a gear if you try and stop 'em.

Half-cock whether still hunting or sitting on a stump or a tree seat (with my feet on the ground). :wink:

I often hunt from a tree-stand with a bow but prefer some mobility with a rifle. It's not like you have to get them in to stabbing distance (I use traditional recurves without sights).

And usually it's just too darned cold to sit still very long hereabouts during gun season.

The only problem with hunting with a long gun and a deer stand is it's a little difficult climbing up. My favorite morning stand is a ladder stand with a shooting bar. That is the only problem with a deer stand. But come ml season I will probably sit on the ground. Then the leaves are off and I can see easier.

Never climb a tree with a gun in your hands. :shocked2: Always use a haul line to pull the gun up to you, and lower it down before you from any elevated stand. If its a flintlock, empty the pan, and open the pan. Then lower the hammer to the full rest position before lowering it down to the ground. If its a percussion gun, take the cap(s) off, and lower the hammers onto the nipples.

Always tie the gun so that the muzzle points DOWN, away from you.

If you have a safety line that you can throw up over a crotch in the tree, and tie to yourself, USE IT both going up and coming down. We have more Hunting accidents involving hunters falling while climbing or coming down from trees stands, than we have accidental shootings in Illinois.

Obviously, using a Safety line makes common sense, but it also requires you to locate your tree and put up the stand during daylight hours, Not in the middle of the night. On public land, where you may not be allowed to leave treestands over night, choose to use a ladder-style stand, WITH a safety line. They are heavier to carry, but are much safer to use than the "tree-climbing" stands.

A Safety line requires that you use something like an Alice( or parachute) harness that runs over and under both shoulders, across your chest, and around your waist, and under your legs. There are very fine safety systems Now sold for hunters. Don't spare the expense. Compared to the cost of broken legs, backs, arms, etc. these are minor costs which will pay you back for years. :hatsoff:

After several close calls in tree stands, I have personally sworn off them all, and now hunt from ground blinds. Let the birds and squirrels have the treetops! :rotf: :hmm: :thumbsup:

Fat old men shouldn't be in trees, I like both feet on the ground. My rifle is kept on half cock....I wonder where the expression "going off half cocked"came from.. :hmm: .. :confused:

a_good_post.JPG

:bow: Dadgum Ron! Are you hiding from 'em or skeered of 'em! :rotf: Gotta try me a blind like that someday.

I only have a Cap Gun but: half cock and I use a climber (have too due to the number of hunts and semiauto shotguns .. open day sound like a war zone).

Back