• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock kits?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrebhaal

Pilgrim
Reaction score
1st post! :grin:

anyways....my father and I are looking to make flintlock pistols this summer, and I'm looking to find a site/catalog that sells kits. Any suggestions?

http://www.possibleshop.com/

they've got a really nice selection of different pistols, as well as most of the accessories you could ever want. i intend to go through them for a lot of the bits-n-bobs, though cabela's has a better price(by six bucks) on lee roundball molds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum! There are lots of kits out there and you have been steered to a couple good dealers. Dixie Gun Works also has some pistol kits. Depends on what style you want to build.

First you have to decide what you can afford to spend and how much of the inletting you are willing to do yourself. Parts for a good quality pistol can run over $500 if you want the best. And the labor is almost the same as a rifle.

CVA does not deal in any kind of Traditional guns any more.

Traditions is now selling a lot of the guns and kits that CVA used to import.

I'm not sure that Traditions and Deer Creek.
Neither of the pistol kits from these companies that Dixie Gunworks shows in its catalog are Flintlocks.

By the way, in my opinion, stay away from the kits made by Classic Arms. They make semi-usable guns that will give you nothing but disappointment.

The only Flintlock pistol kits that I would begin to recommend would be the rifled Pedersoli Kentucky in .45, .50 or .54 caliber or the Pedersoli Queen Anne in .50 smoothbore.
These gun kits are far from inexpensive though. Dixie says they are worth $265-$295.

Perhaps some serious looks at a web site auction might be in order?

i'll agree with all of the above, i haven't seen a kit retail online or otherwise for less than 200-250 dollars. for the really fine kits you're looking at double that and up.

some folks might opine, that it's better to start buying the parts and hand-fit them together. i myself built a semiauto years ago that way, buying one or two parts at a time and fitting them by hand. it took more than a year, but it was a wonderfully crafted piece of work.

doing things one part at a time will give you a deep understanding of how it all goes together and works together, and if you use jeweler's level tools and fine-tooth files only, your fitting will take a long time, but if you file, check, file, check, file, check, ad nauseum et infinitum, your fits will be in the ten-thousandths of inches, and the resultant gun will be a beautiful peice of work.

but you probably won't want to do that for your first kit. it's far more fun to be out there banging away, but do go slow, remember you'll get what you pay for, and shop around.

maybe some of the gun stores in your area might be able to help you as well, and perhaps the local gunsmiths. many of those guys will enjoy answering questions if you ask nice and listen well.

check out Jim Chambers' web site. kind of pricey, but worth every cent!

also, if you want something in the Great Plains style, Track of the Wolf has some kits.

good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Deer Creek has Heritage pistol kits.149.00 is highest price in catalog.13 different kits. 765-525-6181. Dilly

not to rain on the parade...
http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/0/051/RipOff0051213.htm

and a google search(god i love the information age) gives very lukewarm builder's reviews and opinions of deer creek kits.

get what you pay for indeed...

in addition to that report, deer creek has about 70 other reports against them, whereas folks like cabela's have less than a dozen...

and the possibles shop that i linked way up at the beginning of the post has none.

now, whether or not you yourself have had a good experience with deer creek(and if they're the folks i'm thinking of-i won't know without the catalog in front of me-, i didn't), their rep is less than stellar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pom-pom

The Deer Creek Products in your refenced in the link is located in Florida. The Deer Creek Products carrying the old CVA kits is in Waldron, Indiana. I don't know for sure. but I don't believe there is any connection between the two.

Don R

it looks squirrelly i agree. not really sure which to go with. i will say though that the guys from the possibles shop have been pretty spot on about answering emails/etc.

I had excellent service from them and got my CVA parts from them. The women was very knowable about the parts. This was in Ind. Dilly

Yes, the Deer Creek in Florida is (was?) a rip off place.
The Deer Creek in Indiana is a different company. They bought a bunch of the old CVA parts and kits and are marketing them fairly.

I don't know what your price range is but Matt at north star west has a nice smoothbore trade pistol that you can get in a kit I think that it is about $500 but it would be well worth it .

pom-pom said:
http://www.possibleshop.com/

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that all their stuff is imported from Mars or beyond...they are in Roswell, NM after all.. :rotf: :bow:

you know what, if them dang martians make a good gun, are they all that wrong?

and hey, be sure to order the 'special', that's the one that looks like a blunderbuss, but there's an earth shattering kaboom if you use the PU-138 primer.

marvin.jpg

Is this the gun you are talking about?

Back