• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Necessities

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Sapp

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy All-
Have just bought my first flintlock stock/lock (Renegade) courtesy of a lucky bid on ebay and about to buy a GM 54 cal barrel from Cain's Outdoors. I've never shot a flint, but have shot a 54 cal caplock of some sort for the last 15 years.

So what I'm wondering is what other accessories I need for the flinter. I know I need flints, a touch hole pick of some sort, leather to hold the flints in the hammer. What else do I need? I have 54 cal balls/patches, FFFG Goex, and the other stuff I use for the caplock. Any other suggestions? I've been reading the flintlock sections of the TC manual and the Lyman Blackpowder manual.

Thanks for your input and suggestions.

David

Howdy Dave

I think the most important asset you can have is the proper attitude with flinters. I am certainlly no expert with them .. but I can tell I have one and over 2 years later am STILL learning & riding this bronco! It takes patience, & of course, undestanding of the new rifle.

I am not being flipant here either ... please, it tales a mental process & practise I think to get it together to shoot these things.
The "hiss bang" is worth it I think! :hatsoff:

Davy

Get some real good flints, keep them sharp. You can knap your flints or file them. I shoot a lot, so I usally file them. Pick up a diamond file use it on the flint edge like you would on an ax. When you knap you shortin the flint and have to move it forward more often. Get a good pan powder Goex 4f works well. For shooting in Compt. I use Swiss Null-B. Some just use 3f it will work.
I don't know about T/C rifles if they have a Patent breech you will need a brush to go down and clean the breach. The bore brush or jag will not bottom in such rifles. Keeping the bottom or breech face in a flint lock clean it is most important. A pan brush is also needed from time to time. A pan primer tube types are handy get one that throws about 3 grs. of 4f. Here agin some shooters just prime from their horn it works. You will needed a screw driver of some type to tightin the cock jaws on the flint. I like the one that is flat has holes bored in it for a stuck rod puller works great. You may need a small oil can, and a patch can as well.
You will learn after a year and lots of powder to love your "Rock Rifle" but it is a learning process good luck :thumbsup:

I have a TH pick on thong hanging from the triggerguard on each of my flinters,a greased lock cover goes and a flintlock tool, and a primer. I carry a small flint wallet with leathers and flints. This about only things you need different then a cap gun. The tool is a screwdriver,hammer and knapping tool all in one. You can make your own wallet out of scraps. They help keep flints from chipping and easy to get when you need one. These items replace your nipple wrench and caps. Have fun. Dilly

David Sapp said:
Howdy All-
Have just bought my first flintlock stock/lock (Renegade) courtesy of a lucky bid on ebay and about to buy a GM 54 cal barrel from Cain's Outdoors. I've never shot a flint, but have shot a 54 cal caplock of some sort for the last 15 years.

So what I'm wondering is what other accessories I need for the flinter. I know I need flints, a touch hole pick of some sort, leather to hold the flints in the hammer. What else do I need? I have 54 cal balls/patches, FFFG Goex, and the other stuff I use for the caplock. Any other suggestions? I've been reading the flintlock sections of the TC manual and the Lyman Blackpowder manual.

Thanks for your input and suggestions.

David
Probably not many bigger TC fans than I am, but take what TC has in their manual about Flintlocks with a grain of salt...for example, they mention filling the touch hole with 4F to "lay a fuse to the main charge"...and that is exactly NOT what you want to do.

To save you some headaches and money in trial & error, of all the flints I've tried in TC's Flint locks, nothing is even close to the performance and flint life of a Tom Fuller hand knapped Black English Flint, 3/4" wide (/7/8" long).

Also, do you know if your Renegade has the old style Flint lock assembly on it or the new improved lock? If it's the old style, strongly suggest you send it to TC and get it made more reliable.

OLD STYLE TC FLINT LOCK ASSEMBLY...note severe "S" shape to hammer, and the "notch" in the back edge of the hammer right above the hammer mounting screw...also, the hammer is quite short with the bottom jaw just barely clearing the "fence"...and the frizzen is case colored

TCFlintlockOldStylecloseuprightside.jpg

NEW STYLE TC FLINT LOCK ASSEMBLY”¦note much more gentle “S” curve shape (and no notch), it’s much taller with the lower jaw clearing much higher above the fence, the frizzen is solid jet black color, and you can see the huge new style vent liner in the photo

5CLOSEUPLockArea800.jpg

Fellows-
'Preciate the input, gives me a good idea on where to start with what I'm needing.

RB-
Looks like the old style. I'll follow your advice and get the lock on back to T/C. Where do you buy your flints at?

Keep those ideas coming, I'm digging through some archived threads here. Can't beat the knowledge base that y'all have on the Forum!

David

Heck, between us we must have around 8,000 combined years of experience. :rotf:
You can get Black English flints from Track Of The Wolf, Cains Outdoors, October Country, and other places.

David Sapp said:
Fellows-
'Preciate the input, gives me a good idea on where to start with what I'm needing.

RB-
Looks like the old style. I'll follow your advice and get the lock on back to T/C. Where do you buy your flints at?

Keep those ideas coming, I'm digging through some archived threads here. Can't beat the knowledge base that y'all have on the Forum!

David
I'd start with Ed Cain at Cains Outdoors in West VA first as he might have the best price...he coordinated a huge flint buy directly from Tom Fuller in England last year and sold volume purchases to Flintlock shooters at cost...sort of a promotional sale thing...may have some left or at least good prices for bages of 25/50/100

Latest posts

Back