• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Pocket Pistol Louis XVI, French?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzkat

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking for anyone with knowledge about this pistol to share it.
ResizedImage_1314834253939.jpg

ResizedImage_1314834231958.jpg

ResizedImage_1314881884369.jpg

ResizedImage_1314881850811.jpg

It looks to be a typical pocket pistol made in the mid 1700's I had a smaller version that was a
turn barrel and I still have a small Double barrel turn barrel pistol I am guessing your is around 50 caliber?

I was told by several that the piece is French without explanation, therefor when I posted it, I put a question mark after French hoping that someone could either explain it or refute it and give their reason why. Any help appreciated.

A Siler is Germanic in design.

This pistol looks French to me based on overall architecture and carving I have seen before. I would say of the third quarter 18th century.

I think most are going on their gut feeling around the overall look of the piece as opposed to any hard and fast rule concerning its construction. It does have a French or Belgian "feel" based upon the totality of parts...but any one of which is not a definite. Interestingly enough... I agree that the lock also has an English look. The carving could be the key....is that a modified fleur de lis?

I would also guess French, based on the similarity to others I've seen with French locks. Here's one that was sold at Morphy's auction about 3 years ago - converted to percussion, w/ a round-faced lock, but in many respects very similar:
P7310273.jpg

Not so much gut feeling but experiance collecting these things.... and you are correct as far as Belgium and French guns having a simular flavor...especially in the triggerguard....
as far as the lock looking British as one post suggests there is only so much you can do with the shape of a lock.... has the owner looked at the barrel for a makers name? more times than not it will be there rather on the lock...

I see England; I see France...

But regardless, a very nice little Pistol. And with the right load I wouldn't wanna be on the other end of it...

Eric

What do the proof marks have to say? They will tell you exactly where the pistol came from.

My vote is for Belgian. The lock and it's opposite, the side plate have German influence, I'm afraid that I don't see much French about it..

No proof marks on top of barrel. I have not removed it to look underneath. Not sure that it matters enough to take the chance.

Back