• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock purchase question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe6112

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm an experienced shooter with modern firearms but a rookie with flintlocks. I am wanting to purchase a Pennsylvania long rifle. Was hoping to find some suggestions as to what are some good places to buy them at. Any input is appreciated.

Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading, Track of the Wolf, and Dixie Gun Works are good places to start. It really depends on what price range you're in. Factory made "production" guns are probably going to start at $600 - $800 new and maybe $350 used. Semi-custom guns from palces like TVM may start around $1000 new and not much less used, and custom-built-for you rifles may start as low as $1400-1600 for a "plain jane" (no fancy carving or patchbox) and go up from there. These are just rough guidelines, of course :wink:

Check out the 45 cal pedersoli flinter/cabelas blue ridge in the forum i think he wants 450 for it. I have the same gun and its super accurate and a great gun. For a rookie shooter with a flinter you could not buy a better starter gun anywhere close to for a long rifle that won't give ya headaches for days.

Joe, what is your intended use? Targets? Hunting big game? Small game? Birds? All purpose?

I just ask because it may impact the style and certainly caliber you want and perhaps where you would purchase. I know you said "Pennsylvania" but there were a number of styles (schools) originating from Pennsylvania. Also, do you have a budget in mind?

I don't know how far it is from Charleston to Cross Plains, Tenn., but Tip Curtis's muzzle loading shop, would be a good place to go.

My intended use would probably be more for target and just historical shooting. My family goes back to colonial times in Berks County Pa. So that with with my love of firearms is driving me to want one. Probably a price range of maybe between 1,000 - 1500. Thanks for all the help!

Hey and welcome to the forum,

Berks County huh? You may want to do some research before you plunk down your cash. Some magnificent original rifles came out of Berks and the the counties surrounding you. I personally very much admire the Reading School. I'd suggest starting with "Rifles of Colonial American" Vol 1 or the new " The American Longrifle". I'm sure some of the other fine folks here can recommend some reading as well....Mick C :hatsoff:

http://www.amazon.com/Berks-County-Rifles-Makers-1750-1900/dp/1887762086

Kind of pricey, but this book might be a good introduction to the county's historical longrifles. Appears to be produced by the Historical Society of Berks County.

If you have your heart set on a specific style like this, by all means, go for it! You might have to raise the budget a bit to achieve the dream, but I have no doubt that would be well worth it as well. Best wishes in your search.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the price range you're looking a you may be confining yourself to either a factory production rifle or a used rifle. For a new hand built rifle you're low price will be at least $2000. Factory rifles will work fine for some time but are less likely to be historically accurate. The other caution is flint locks on the production rifles can be much less than desired.

A good source of custom rifles in several price ranges would be a site like this and http://www.longrifle.ws/
there are several rifles available at most times

Since you mentioned flintlock specifically, and I admire your choice. There are problems with them that you won't find on cap locks. As I mentioned factory made flintlocks will perform fine for a time but will likely gradually begin to be less reliable over time and use. As a long time Flintlock shooter things like slow ignition and non ignition will quickly turn you against flintlocks if you are not dedicated. But a well tuned flintlock will perform as well as any caplock, and is much cheaper to use in the long run. Caps only work once.

My best advice is to purchase the best hand built rifle, either used and well cared for or new, that you can afford. The performance of this rifle compared to a factory built rifle is night and day.

Good luck and good shooting.

One more vote for contacting Tip Curtis. I am quite impressed with his workmanship and mostly the man himself. For the price he asks for his rifles I think its the best deal going.

How difficult are track of the wolf flintlock kits to build? They have some nice looking ones on their site.

Track of The Wolf kits are excellent kits but not the kind I'd pick for my first build. Even Jim Chambers excellent kits are not for the beginner. Be sure to pick a kit that has a stock that is 98% inlet because inletting requires some experience and special tools. The 98% inlet stocks have the trigger, lock, barrel and ramrod hole already inlet and require only final fitting of these parts and some shaping, sanding and finishing of the stock. The metal parts such as the trigger guard, butt plate, nose cap, etc. are often sand or wax castings and will require final finishing and polishing. The barrel will need to have the breach plug already installed because that requires special skills and knowledge. You may or may not be able to cut the dovetails for the sights and underlugs. If not, have the kit manufacturer do it for you. Those little things may add as much as $100 to the kit price but are often well worth the cost. Most kits will require around 50 to 100 hours of work before it is range ready. All kits require that you know your way around with hand tools and have a lot of patience so you don't rush the job and make ugly screw ups. Take your time, think each step through and keep asking yourself what can go wrong and then how can you avoid that mistake. Also, always be asking yourself not only how to avoid a mistake but how can you fix it if it goes bad. It is a good idea to have a book such as "The Gunsmith of Grenville County" on hand. Be sure to read it before starting work on your kit. He really helps you understand what to do and how to do it.

Can't imagine why anyone living in Charleston wanting to shoot a percussion rifle much less a flint lock. :wink:
I'm in the process of building a percussion 40cal for small game and hogs and so far it has cost a good bit more than just the parts cost. You have to throw in a bunch of tools and things that you don't think of. Also most of the parts require work also. To get an idea of what it takes look at Duelist1954 on youtube tow build videos.
Your at a stage where doing A LOT of research is the best thing.

As was said, these are not the drop together kits sold by the big factories.

They are basically a box of castings and a roughed out wood stock. The only parts that are actually just about ready to use are the lock and the set trigger (if used).
Even these require the locating, drilling and threading of the screw holes that will hold them in place.

I've seen some of these that were finished in under 80 hours but they looked like it.

Figure at least 120 hours and more like 160 hours to build a fine rifle.

Joe6112 said:
My intended use would probably be more for target and just historical shooting. My family goes back to colonial times in Berks County Pa. So that with with my love of firearms is driving me to want one. Probably a price range of maybe between 1,000 - 1500. Thanks for all the help!

Tip Curtis, will be able to help you....call him, he's sometimes hard to get a-hold of, but he will have some in the white, some ready to shoot...and they start at your price range.
next stop would be Dave keck...he has 'kits', and sometimes in the white....nice price ranges.....
some of us here can assemble a kit for you, for a price....but the calendar is usually full up for a while....like me, I have a 'day job' too.. :(

SOMEDAY, when I hit the lotto....ALL I will do is assemble rifles! :thumbsup:

You can build a better rifle than you can buy, but keep in mind when you start building that you are not just building a rifle...you are building the FIRST rifle. Once you start down that path there will be more....

Latest posts

Back