• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Frizzen Face Texture

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See the skip at the top, that is a frizzen bounce ! What one wants is an even scrape pattern down the entire frizzen face so that gullies are not carved in to shorten flint life.
I couldn't care if there is a region the flint doesn't scrape. In my view it is of no significance.

Here is a picture of the Chambers Deluxe lock I have on my SMR using my home knapped serrated edge flints that spark like sixty with very light but consistent, no bounce contact as it moves down frizzen. The rifle has about 150 shots through it I would guess and is barely broken in.
Note the strike contact is roughly a third way down frizzen and contact is unbroken down the face as the serrated edge changes it's contact line across the frizzen face. This contact change across the face makes both the firzzen and flint last longer and discourages gully cutting.
This is a picture of an inexpensive Moruku flint pistol I picked up for 20 bucks that needed a front sight,trigger job and stock repair. It makes as good or better sparks consistently than does my expensive match pistol I worked over.
Note the strike contact point and even no bounce scrape.
The flints are my home knapped made from Keokuk heat treated chert from Oklahoma. I make them from point scrap chips with no humps to grind off. They are as good as any English I have ever purchased and are free to me with a little elbow grease.
Interestingly this pistol was made with no flash hole liner and angled forward of the breech plug. It is a very reliable sparker and have used it in matches out to 50 yards with success.

Attachments

• IMG_2405.JPG
    IMG_2405.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2406.JPG
    IMG_2406.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2409.JPG
    IMG_2409.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
This is a picture of an inexpensive Moruku flint pistol I picked up for 20 bucks that needed a front sight,trigger job and stock repair. It makes as good or better sparks consistently than does my expensive match pistol I worked over.
Note the strike contact point and even no bounce scrape.
The flints are my home knapped made from Keokuk heat treated chert from Oklahoma. I make them from point scrap chips with no humps to grind off. They are as good as any English I have ever purchased and are free to me with a little elbow grease.
Interestingly this pistol was made with no flash hole liner and angled forward of the breech plug. It is a very reliable sparker and have used it in matches out to 50 yards with success.
Note the pick angle in the flash hole of the third picture, moving it forward of the breech plug face. I've not seen this angular flash hole channel before but found it quite interesting. I would have thought it would slow ignition but if it does I cannot tell as the gun is very reliable producing good spark and quick ignition. Thinking on it some the angular flash hole should not be much different than a patent breech application.
I bet it will be interesting to line when it erodes out !

Back