• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraungie

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Been thinking about a Jim Chambers flintlock. The Isaac Hayes in .50 with a wood patch box any comments? Anyone have one?

I have 2 Isaac Haines. 1 flintlock an 1 percussion both are Jim Chambers an I can tell you I love them both although I shoot my flintlock bunches more than the percussion. I am in the process of building a 40 cal in another Haines so that should tell you how I feel about them. The 38 inch barrels balance very well for me an that is the thing I guess I like about them the most. Hope this helps you some :thumbsup:

I built the Lancaster in .50 with the $50 wood upgrade and can tell you they are great rifles I have to keep my eye on it though or my husband would walk away with it lol. Just take your time and it will be the best rifle you will ever build.

The Isaac Haines rifle is one that till I read your post was unaware of. I would love to check one out on the range. At least this gives me more to think about, thanks! :hatsoff:

I've built 3 of them. 2 B's and one C with lower grade maple stock. all 50 caliber flintlocks. Two have the premium maple, and have sliding wood patch boxes. The guns fit me really well. I'm an average size person.

I shoot the C gun almost every day, and love it. After 2 years of continuous shooting, it's looking very antiqued. After shooting for a year, I wanted a lighter trigger pull, so I swapped out the original single trigger, for an L & R double set trigger. In order to fit the trigger guard, I had to cut off the back spike in the bow and solder it about 3 inches back. This allowed me to accommodate the setting trigger. I also had to inlet the sides of the stock where the trigger plate fit. Have Rice barrels in all 3 guns. I like the California sights best. I can't see the others very well.
The guns shoot very well. Unfortunately I don't (shoot very well). I'd be sure to get the Siler lock. I think I might shoot the B barrel guns a tad bit better than the C gun, but I've got the B's very fancy, and don't want to damage them with everyday shooting.

Lisle George

Lisle George

You can take a Lancaster precarve and use a longer barrel if wanted and add the double C scroll of something to associate the gu with haines as the 38' nbarrel everyone puts out is probably a rarety with his guns rather than the norm, most "haines" guns when finished would not be recognized as gun bult by Haines as few have the carving /engraving or anything to connect then with that particular builder, at best one could be placed in the Lancaster school by the architecture of furniture, common with many guns attributed to specific builders as the need for detail grows as one picks an individual builder over a general school and often the latter is a matter of guess work without some detail not offered in the parts set, but requiring some carving/engraving good luck with whatever project you take on.

Back