• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock shotgun, who makes one still and where?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSobkowz

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been scouring for a flintlock shotgun but can only find the Pedersoli model. Does anyone else still make one? If so, who? Anyone own one?

Thanks guys!
-Ron

Lots of makers of single barrel flintlock smoothbores. What exactly are you looking for, Ga., barrel length, time period. etc.

Hello,

Either or. Mainly looking for a turkey gun. Single, double, 10, 12, 16, or even a 20 gauge is OK by me.

Thanks for the reply and any help you may give.

-Ron

Hi,

I'm looking for something under 28 inches, probably more like 26, 24 even if possible. As I mentioned in the above reply, I want a flintlock turkey gun. Guage isn't of major concern. I would ultimately rather have a 10 or 12, but a 16 or 20 would be OK as well. As far as time period, I really don't know what to say to that. Basically open for anything right now.

Thanks for the reply,
-Ron

Well, I don't NEED one, I'd prefer it though. I'd rather have the shorter barrel since it will be a turkey gun and I sometimes hunt some cramped spots, move through hell holes, and just for the fewer couple ounces. As hard as I go I get worn down sometimes where every ounce feels like 20 pounds.

I've got a 20 bore fowler with a 42" barrel and it weighs just over 7 pounds. I don't find it too long to use easily in tight cover or too heavy to carry. These long guns, if properly made, are well balanced and pleasant to carry. You also get a longer sighting radius and maybe a little extra velocity--though the last is unverified.

Well I'll obviously make due with what is available, not going to hack the thing down if all I can find is a 30 or 32. Yours might be a touch too long for what I want though, LOL. As far as velocity, the longer barrel really doesn't do that much. We had a discussion on the NWTF forum about it and it's really an insignificant amount of increase/decrease based on barrel length in my opinion. Too miniscule to buy a 30 over a 24 inch based on just that theory. I was just throwing out numbers for sake of argument. Per inch it's something between 6 and 10 feet per second depending on the source of the information. To me that's not worth worrying about. Anyhow, enough of my rambling. Give me some optiosn as to where I can locate a turkey flintlock, please. I need fodder for my brain at night, the net is too boring otherwise.

-Ron

Boy oh boy would you be interested in building what you want there are a bunch of places who make a so called kits there is one guy from Tennessee valley manufactureing who can build it for you at any length barrel you want or you could order a kit from him were he'll inlet trigger and lock for you as the barrel channel is already done for you . his number is Jack garner 662-286-5014. give him a call and see what he can do.bb75

I'm not looking for a percussion gun. If 2 of my turkey pump guns sell soon I may likely have 2 percussion guns by that point already anyway.

-Ron

An earlier thread referenced a Richard Smith in Fla. who is building double-barrel flintlock shotguns, reportedly in the $2,400 range. I have not seen his work in person, however, some photos were posted. His telephone number was listed as
(352)748-7373

An earlier thread referenced a Richard Smith in Fla. who is building double-barrel flintlock shotguns, reportedly in the $2,400 range. I have not seen his work in person, however, some photos were posted. His telephone number was listed as
(352)748-7373

I might have wanted to mentioned I don't have THAT kind of loot to spend!! LMAO. I'd like to find something in the REASONABLE price range, LOL.

-Ron

(352)748-7373

I might have wanted to mentioned I don't have THAT kind of loot to spend!! LMAO. I'd like to find something in the REASONABLE price range, LOL.

-Ron
Seems more than reasonable to me, I wouldn't build one that cheap. :shake:

you need to consider if you want a choke or not.. without choke your going to decrease your shooting range by 10-15 yards from modern choked guns. most smoothbore flintlocks come without a choke.. if you put in a screw in choke it will generally shoot shot only.. there is a jug choke that will also work and will load easier as all components go down the muzzel.. jacki brown made a canoe gun which had a very short barrel and there are some of those around, and you may be able to get someone to build you one.. black powder burns slower than smokeless and if you have a short barrel you still have a power stroke as the shot leaves the end of the barrel, this can couse poor patterns... 30 inches should not be a problem tho, but all guns are different. one of the reasons for long barrels is that the stability given when your waiting for the load to exit the barrel after the flash can give a big help with flintlock... . good luck dave..

Actually, any smoothbore is a shotgun. A fowler, Tradegun, Musket, whatever, it can fire shot loads and be used as a shotgun. The Pedersoli Bess carbine has a 30 1/2' barrel, handles well, and is an 11 ga. Should work for what you need.

Well, ultimately if I had it my way I would have a 24-26 inched xxx full choked flintlock that came in Obsession. Obviously that's not going to happen. I'd like to get as "turkey" of a gun as possible if that makes sense. What I'm saying is the more features that would be particularly beneficial as a turkey chaser the better. The tighter the choke, the larger the guage, the shorter the barrel, the better.

Latest posts

Back