• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlocks and fire danger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been that way here for a few years now to. Only difference is, we have trees to burn if there is a fire instead of Cholla cactus. ::

Really great topic here. Although new to flintlocks, I'll be following the same procedures as outlined below with percussion.

I've always taken the accidental fire from a smoldering patch issue very seriously.

As a result, I also have a fire extinguisher at my range and I always account for every shot fired by picking up each patch.

Also, during the very dry portion of the summer, I always spray/soak the area in front of my bench area and out to about 15-20 yards in front with water.

I often use wads with PRB, but not always.

During hunting season, I always try to recover my patches. (sometimes they just don't wish to be found) :winking:

Not had a problem yet, but not going to take any chances either.

:imo:

I do know that the flash from the pan will set the headliner in your truck on fire in a hurry..... :redface:

I do know that the flash from the pan will set the headliner in your truck on fire in a hurry..... :redface:

Ah thin 'at's why em nice folks at tha Game an Fish department made it ill eagle ta shoot frum yer car or pick-um-up truk heer in Arizonie.

Thay's a looken out fer us. ::

I will bet that Ridge is not going to tell us how he knows that the flash from a flintlock will set the headliner on fire. :winking: Rocky

I expect not. Nor would a friend of mine explain how he knocked the mirror off his truck with a crossbow.
There is a place for smokeless breechloaders. I love my .22 :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

I'm sorry if this is a pathetic response, but the fire that burned and killed a lot of Rebel and Union wounded in the Battle of the Wilderness (May, 1864) was started by small arms fire. Muzzle flash alone lit the brush that killed them. Oh, the humanity. :cry:

Uhmm.......no chance at all Rocky J........but I can tell you that several dozen brand new cuss words were invented that evening.

hope you got to hear the words "you have a right to remain silent" in a soft WV drawl.
Finnwolf

I do know that a flinter will singe eyebrows and whiskers...
I found that out when I rolled my old Kentuckian over after it failed to go off and snapped the rock on the steel with the touch hole pointed up at my face.... one spark did appear and bounced around several times and went right down the vent hole, fortunately I got my eyes closed in time, had a case of black "measles" for a couple of days though.

Finnwolf,
In your Avatar photo is that a picture of you?If so,What is that on your head?
No disrespect intended.

I've always taken a smoldering patch as a sign that something about my load is not right.

Don't think I've ever seen a burning patch that had a Wonder Wad underneath it...maybe that's the way to minimize the risk. Works for me.

Rat

I agree that a burning patch is proof that something's wrong. My mentor (coffee grounds / patch reader ) has taught me to use spit patches for target shooting. I am more than concerned about fire. I am taught that the proper patch has a nice black spot (perhaps with rings of target looking singe) but no burning. Everyone is different I'm sure. I respect the man that is doing the teaching. I have > ZERO < flint (personal) experience.

Just another gang related urban driveby flintlock shooting I am sure! :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Halftail,
No offense taken!

Some years ago, I noticed the hair on top of my head was thinning. Living in a colder climate as I do, I simply had a custom toupe made for me. Saved a few bucks on it by supplying the local furrier with a wolf hide to use instaed of expensive human hair.

Or...

Years ago, I took up residence with a shewolf up in the hills - she never did get used to me. When she passed a few years ago, I decided do her honor by wearing her on my head on special occasions.

Now, do you have a story to tell us about "halftail"?
Finnwolf

Hier in der Zivilisation, haben wir die Pocken kuriert. Es besteht jetzt nur in den Bereichen, in denen sie Rotwild nachts pochieren.

Latest posts

Back