• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flints are fun, caps are deadly.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ace-Man said:
I do not place the open BP can on top of the stove. That would be severely foolish. I do however place it on the mantle above the wood stove where allot of very warm and dry air passes.I've read back in day of folks very carefully placeing the BP in the oven portion of their stoves. The heat from the stove was receding but still hot. This meant for a quick ignition for the next days hunt. I have never attempted this. I have however purchased a super fresh can of FFFF and placed the can inside a food sealer bag and sucked it tight to preserve the powder. Works for me.
All I use for prime is Goex 4F and have never had any concerns over age of black powder.

But 4F is sensitive to moisture in the air...when hunting I always replace it at least hourly, and if I know the humidity is high that day (or foggy, drizzly, etc) I'll replace it every 30 minutes...it only take a few seconds, costs less than a penny, and so far I've never had a flintlock ignition problem while hunting.

Fired three shots this year, Put three deer in the freezer. 50 cal. flintlock
Take your time and follow through.
its a ball....so to speak.

I'm not at your level yet. But it's fun throwing round balls with a flintlock. I need to practice for sure. Thanks for the encouraging me.

Ace-Man said:
This is the first year in the last 16 I broke from archery and hunted deer with muzzleloaders. It was a great year and I'm tagged out. Launched a number of balls with the flints and never touched a hair. I found the flint humbling time and time again. On most of the hunts I'd carry the flint most of the day. The flint is my favorite. When It was time to take home the meat and quit missing. I'd grab the cap gun. :redface:

Practice, or get a better flintlock. A lot of the factory makes leave a lot to be desired.

Dan

Friend of mine is a professional shooter.
Retired military currently contracted to instruct snipers for the army.

He loves flinters, Says there is nothing like them for conditioning his "hold."

Good concept. One has to learn to rely on hisself 1st and put convenience 2nd.

I agree that a better gun, or at least one that fits proper would be a big improvment. I had a Autin & Halleck mountain rifle, and could shoot little groups from a bench, but as soon as I picked it up, the poor fit opened things up. I was so dissapointed with it that I sold it and went back to a Lyman Trade rifle in cap lock. It fits much better so my off hand shooting has come back to what it should be.

Ace-Man said:
I'm not proud of this one. This year I missed a large blacktail buck when I went for a headshot at twenty yards. When I squeezed the trigger. The primed flashed, but no boom. The buck was gracious enough to lay there while I reprimed, this time with twice as much 4f to assure ignition. The rifle ignited this time and I cleanly missed. Flints are always an adventure.
ace-man,
if there is one thing i've learned about hunting deer with a flinter, don't shoot at them when they are looking at you. you've heard of deer ducking an arrow, well they can react to the flash froma flinter as well. i've had it happen twice to me with witnesses that told me what had happened. just wait till they turn their heads away from you. their bodies react before their eyes even know what they are seeing. just a thought for ya.
pieman

Hello Gang
Well wet snow got me this year with my flint.. and the second chance I broke the darn ram rod when loading ... Oops well a range style rod is being carried under the gun this season ..
my best regards a loyalist Dawg :hatsoff:

Back