• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint's Frolick

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herb

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Flint's Frolick was New Years Day on a mountain near Vernal. We had 13 shooters, four of them women. All shot custom flintlocks except two new, and welcome, factory caplock users (not in the photo). I am on the right with my prize of two buffalo steaks.
FlintGroup.jpg

LynnPrizeTable.jpg

Four people shot on the green dino, the rest on the pink one. Targets were about 40 yards away. Five shots, but increased to seven when the good 20 degree weather held. I shot No. 17. Here Lynn collects her prize of duck.
FlintCarole.jpg

Here Flint, from Hanover, Germany, watches Carole shoot her .40 fintlock I built her in a shoot-off with Kyne.
CaroleKyneCleaned.jpg

They shot at number 8 for nearest to center. Kyne won by about 1/2", using his .58 transitional (from a Jaeger to something else). Carole was tickled with her shooting.
FlintFrolick.jpg

George, Neill and Jim shot off a tie by closest to King George III's nose. Jim won.
HerbDino.jpg

Shooters had trouble seeing their bullet holes. I shot a .50 I built with a 38" B Rice barrel and late Manton lock, 50 grains of Goex 3F. I could see I was chewing a fat hole but couldn't count the holes. I'm sure I shot seven. The lower right shot was where I spilled part of the charge outside the bore, and double-patched the ball by accident, too! A squib load. Neill checked my target with binocs and said I had only five shots and needed two more. I was certain I had seven, which meant either four shots in that double hole or else two shots missed everything you see. So I shot another..... Neill watched through binocs and said "You wiped out his cojones", both of us forgetting that this dinosaur had none and was wearing a red bra!
IMG_0236.jpg

Here the women are playing their traditional game of Farkel. A good time was had by all!

Herb looks like you over the Mtn. boys had some kind of fun. Nice way to start the New Year. The smell of black powder and good friends. :bow:

Very Nice Herb-Looks like a beautiful day- What a great excuse to get some fresh air!!Hope 2010 is a good one for you.

:thumbsup:
Great photos Herb
It is a privilage to be a part of this great group of flintlock shooters and to be shooting a flintlock that you made.

Man, that looks like a fun group of good folk!
And only a stone's throw from some of the world's best fishing in the Green River's flaming gorge!
Beautiful part of this planet.

Thanks for sharing...I'll keep watching my mailbox for next year's invitation... :wink:

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments. This bunch of people is very photogenic, so it is easy to do good work. Everyone take note of the elk teeth on Eaglewoman's red dress. She would like to have a Thousand Elk Tooth dress, like Marie Sandoz wrote about (I think). If anyone has elk teeth lying around you would like to contribute to her dress, she would be even more tickled! If so, PM me. Thanks. Herb

Great pics Herb. Looked like a lot of fun!

That Kyne guy is a pretty decent shot and a hell of a guy. :thumbsup: Didn't know you knew him. But I should have guessed knowing he's from your neck of the woods as well. :idunno:

Looks like a great time was had by all. :applause:
Thanks for sharin.
Dusty :wink:

Here is George shooting his .54 at the pink dinosaur. He was state flintlock champion for two years a while back, shooting a .50 with 90 grains of Goex 2F.
GeorgeJackson.jpg

You guys and gals not only know how to start the year off but you've got some great rifles and gear there too!

You know how you can just tell that some folks are good people just by looking at them? This is that kind of group. Just looking at the pictures make you want to be there!

Finnwolf

Latest posts

Back