• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Where does one buy flints?

Could flints be found naturally in the new York state Hudson valley area?

Don't know if you can find natural flint in your area or not, but contact Rich Pierce on this forum for some of his excellent knapped white flints. I think they are called Missouri chert. I have begun to use them and believe them to be a great value. :thumbsup:

Good luck and have fun.

He has more than just chert, I have some flints struck from 200 year old ship ballast from him, good english black. Contact him and see what he's got. Nothing wrong with the chert by the way, I like it,it's just that he has other rocks to bash on from time to time. He'll also make you historically correct gunspalls if you like to. :thumbsup:

Jackman said:
Where does one buy flints?

In addition to those, BP supply houses like 'Track of the Wolf' carry Tom Fuller black English flints.
There are also agates, French amber, etc.

Thanks guys :thumbsup: , I'll try the supply houses first, but sure would like to find a big chunk of ships ballast, I'll be searching....

Acorn Mush said:
Don't know if you can find natural flint in your area or not, but contact Rich Pierce on this forum for some of his excellent knapped white flints. I think they are called Missouri chert. I have begun to use them and believe them to be a great value. :thumbsup:

Good luck and have fun.

Rich has been delayed in flint production because of personal matters lately. For now, I would (am) looking to other sources.
BTW: flint and chert are the same thing. I know, old-old arugment but they are the same. Difference is how it is found in the earth.

I have access to alot of flint....but no way of making a good flint.......I'm a idiot at the black art of knapping~

All it takes is a weekend of practice, about 60 pounds of flint, a generous supply of band-aids and you can learn to make gunflints. Right now I lack the time to make any, may get back to it in the fall if my job situation allows it. There are lots of youtube videos on flintknapping and the basic techniques of preparing a core, striking off blades or spalls, are all applicable to making gunflints.

Troy Roope at Stonewall Creek Outfitters, has many thousands of Black English Flints in all sizes.

Bill

".....Stonewall Creek Outfitters' website is temporarily offline, but all is well!

Phone us to place your order at 434-993-3557.

Thanks to all who have called about our website....."

Acorn Mush said:

Good luck and have fun.

:applause: Agreed 100%. I've got a lot of English black flints and like Rich's flints a LOT better. They seem to spark a lot hotter than the English ones or the French ambers I have. I keep 4 of Rich's in my possibles bag and 2 of each of the others, but haven't put them back on since I've gotten turned onto his flints.

Back