• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Florida Turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crockett

Cannon
Reaction score
This year you can no longer use a muzzle loader in Florida to hunt turkey on WMA's. Just wondering if anyone out there wishes that change could be reversed.

crockett said:
This year you can no longer use a muzzle loader in Florida to hunt turkey on WMA's. Just wondering if anyone out there wishes that change could be reversed.

Do you have a link to that?
:hmm:
The only restriction I ever noticed is that you can't use a muzzleloader with "smokeless powder"

Here is what's on the Florida WMA website:

Zones B, C, D except Holmes County

March 10-11 (Youth Hunt)- By all legal rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders, crossbows, bows and pistols

March 17 - April 22 - By all legal rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders, crossbows, bows and pistols

and here is the web address:
http://myfwc.com/hunting/season-dates/

Last edited by a moderator:
The prohibition against using muzzleloaders with 'smokeless powder' must only apply to deer seasons...

That link is general hunting regs.
Still legal on private land, Not on public land.
Check your WMA pamphlets, Shotgun only, no shot larger than #2.
Most WMA's are a three day season also, While private land you can hunt 5 weeks.
Private land=less regulations,less license fees, more days to hunt.
Do ya notice a pattern?
This state caters to the wealthy, Always has, Always will! :barf:

I suspect you can use a muzzleloading shotgun. I know the regulations here in New England mandate the use of a bow or shotgun but muzzleloading shotguns are in that catagory.

Given how little hunting pressure private lands tend to be under, compared to public lands, why not a longer season? I know a rancher with more than 30k acres of land, and I bet not more than 30 birds are harvested each season. I imagine your average comparably sized WMA sees that many killed in the first weekend, if not day.

I'd also point out, private lands don't have game wardens. The lower you set the bar for ranchers, the less likely they are to just say the hell with a license. It isn't like they are going to get caught, and these animals do live on their land. I'd further point out, these birds thrive because of private land holdings, not because the state owns a little property here and there.

For what its worth, I hunt on private land here in FL, and have never received, nor been offered, a discount of any sort of game or fishing license.

"I imagine your average comparably sized WMA sees that many killed in the first weekend, if not day"

You cant be serious, Check the harvest reports!

"I'd also point out, private lands don't have game wardens. The lower you set the bar for ranchers, the less likely they are to just say the hell with a license"

Leaving everyone else to produce the revenue. While at the same time charging people $1500 or more for a three day Osceola hunt!

"It isn't like they are going to get caught, and these animals do live on their land"

Not thier birds, They are wildlife that belongs to the tax payers of the state!

"I'd further point out, these birds thrive because of private land holdings, not because the state owns a little property here and there."

Here and there? Your kidding, Right?
Apalachicola 582,691 Acres
Aucilla 50,471 Acres
Blackwater 198,490 Acres
Green Swamp 50,992 Acres
Ocala 385,349 Acres
Thats only five of the 170 WMA's in the state.

"For what its worth, I hunt on private land here in FL, and have never received, nor been offered, a discount of any sort of game or fishing license"

You pay $23 For license to hunt turkey's
Public land cost is $50 If lucky enough to get drawn for a hunt. With the prices of land or a lease, You are either wealthy or very fortunate. Count your blessings!!! :v

Back