• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

focus .... just wondering

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hou5ton

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was just wondering if many, or most individuals in this forum shot BP exclusively, or if they also used modern weapons for some of their hunting?

I'm a newbie to the forum...and I've only been hunting again the last few years - spent many years (12-15) not hunting, or even shooting. In fact, I'd never owned a gun 'til 5 or so years ago - always used my dad's when I was younger - he had a large selection (I've got 3 younger brothers - we all used Dad's guns).

I've hunted with both BP and "modern" guns (my newest, design-wise, is a Yugoslavian 59/66 SKS - my hunting rifle, other than my Lyman Great Plains Rifle, is a sporterized M96 Swedish Mauser - Mauser Model 1896, built in 1911). I also recently picked up an Uberti 1858 Remington New Army revolver.

I started deer hunting again about 5 years ago with the Mauser. Did that for a couple years. Then my dad, brother, and I all got muzzleloaders. I bought the GPR, my brother bought a TC inline, and our dad bought an old break-action single shot Russian shotgun and a .50 cal. barrel blank and made his own custom break action in-line. We did that the next couple years. This year, I'm going to go muzzleloading again with my brother - he's also hunting both regular rifle seasons with our dad - as well as some bow-hunting. I don't have that devotion - or obsession. Hunting's a way to spend some time in the peace and quiet in the woods, and a little time doing something with my dad and brothers that I hadn't participated in for years.

The muzzleloading season's a little more fun just 'cause it's a lot less popular, and therefore quieter. Plus, there's more likely to be snow on the ground (here in Minnesota). It can be cold...but it's kind of brisk and refreshing - if you dress warm enough that you aren't shivering after not moving for a couple hours!

That's my story...probably way more than you wanted! :yakyak:

This question was just raised on another thread!I can't recall witch one.There was a varity of replies.Many here have, and use, both modern center fire, and Traditional muzzleloaders,along with bows. I only use muzzleloaders to hunt,but I still own two centerfire shorguns.one of witch I bought over 50 years ago.Thease I use as defence weapons,as I don't think keeping a load in a muzzleloader for long periods,is a good thing.Then there are those that prefer (the dreded)in-lines for hunting,but own and shoot traditional sidelocks for other reasons.If You can think of another combination,some one here is doing it.Once I began useing muzzleloaders,The use of centerfire weapons faded into the background. :results: :redthumb:

I own center fire rifles as well but have not hunted with them for many many years. I do have a couple breach loading cartridge shotguns that i load BP in paper casings and hunt grouse, i have found i enjoy them as much as my percussion SXS.
As for deer and elk I only use my flintlocks ,smooth bore and rifle depending on my mood. This hold true for all the seasons , traditional, BP and general seasons as well as any draws I put in for

I was just wondering if many, or most individuals in this forum shot BP exclusively, or if they also used modern weapons for some of their hunting?

What about us non-hunters? I don't hunt as it's something that only 1 person I knew did whilst growing up, and now that I'm into oldf*rt land haven't a clue about to get started, and besides another hobby that gets me out of the house would be too expensive and get the wife all upset again :D.

In modern arms I shoot target for the skill and fun of it. .45acp Pistol, rifle .22lr, .223, and some 20ga for skeet. A little archery just to give my ears a rest, and maybe throw a 'hawk or three when the shoulder ain't acting up too bad.

My muzzleloading is limited to .50 percussion for now whilst I wait til I can afford a flinter (or win that 45 in the raffle).

vic

95% blackpowder last few years. 100% iron sights.

I do have a pellet rifle I shoot about weekly, not counting that here.

I went a couple years doing all my small-game hunting (except grouse) with a traditional bow & cedar arrows. :thumbsup:

Hou5ton,
I have always hunted with centerfire rifles(.270) or shotguns with rifled slugs until this year when I obtained a civil war repro in .58 cal. This will be my first year hunting with BP. I will still hunt regular season with the .270 because where I hunt is wide open with at least a 100 - 150 yard shot depending where it runs.

I kind of thought anything much over 100yds. was pushing it for a muzzleloader.... You start losing energy pretty fast - at least with patched round balls. Plus, personally, I like know my shot's going to be within not too much more than a couple inches of where I'm aiming it...and, even with a rest of some sort, I think 100 yds. is pretty much MY limit with open sights, though others may certainly well be more capable. I don't think I COULD take an off hand shot at 100 yds. Those are maybe more personal limitations than general rules, though...except maybe the energy issue.

Actually, you bring up another good discussion. Assuming the shooter is comfortable with the range regarding hitting the mark, what would be a good maximum range for the average .54 Caliber round ball? I know it would be different for all the different loads, but as a good place to generalize, or at least for the sake of somewhere to start, let's say the average .54 caliber round ball. Can it safely bring down the whitetail with a heart/lung shot at 150 yards, or is that trying to push it too far?

Can it safely bring down the whitetail with a heart/lung shot at 150 yards, or is that trying to push it too far?

That has a lot to do with how fast you started it and how well you can see and group on target at that range; and how well you estimate distances and can dope wind drift. Probably three people in ten can judge 150 yards within +/- 20 yards in uneven or wooded terrain. If conditions were ideal and I had clean underwear I might go 120 yards with my .54 on deer. I consider 100 yards a l..o..n..g shot with a round ball in hunting conditions. I've bonked woodchucks at well over 150 using cross-sticks, but a wounded woodchuck, while still bad karma and to be avoided at all costs, doesn't eat away at my soul. If you can hit the deer in the lungs at 150 yards with a .54 that's still loping at over 700 or 800 fps, it will die. You also have to aim about 14" high with a 75 yards zero to drop it in. If you practice a lot at 150 yards, you can maybe count on 150 yards success.

For a fun test. Get a group of M/Ls and put a large juice can or coffee can at 150 yards and build a 5

Since I shot my first black powder rifle 3 years ago, that was it! :master:

I only use BP now, and only "traditionals", no inlines.

The only modern guns the wife and I have now is her carry gun, Glock 19, and the house shotgun, Remington 870 Police 12 gauge. I sold all others to fund my new passion!

The black powder rifles carry a personality and character no modern weapon can ever compare to, IMO... :imo:

Be safe!
Jason

Well, I mostly shoot varmints of the Woodchuck persuasion in SE PA. Until recently I was going back and forth between my .222 and 22-250 but then I bought a .19-223 Calhoon and that was all she wrote for the .22s. It is, to my mind, the perfect varmint rifle. Anyhow, more to your point; I very much enjoy shooting trap as well and just recently got back into BP. Mostly I intend to expand my deer hunting options with the BP rifle -- and for chucks too. Also, thinking hard about jumping into crossbows for Whitetail. Here in PA I believe we are soon going to be permitted to use everything from rocket propelled grenades to spears to get the heards thined. If we have an acorn crop problem it is going to be tragic.

Within a week my Jeager should arrive, and then my BP hunting "battery" will be complete. I'll have a good smoothbore (Brown Bess carbine) for shot-gunning, and big game at short range in the thick stuff, the Jeager for all big game in any stuff, and the 1861 Springfield as a back-up camp gun for both of the flinters. (and I just plain LOVE that 1861!) So next year, I'll be 100% BP for hunting.

For just plain shooting fun I love all the mil-surp rifles, you name it and I probably got one, or more. So I'll be keeping and shooting those. Black bear season is a long one here, so sometimes on a whim I may still grab a Mosin-Nagant, SMLE, K31, FR8, 03A3, or Mauser for a casual day hunt.

My modern hunting rifles I will keep, just because I have lots of good memories connected to them. A couple are gifts from the wife...so I HAVE to keep them!! :eek:) They are also very nice rifles, and if I sold them I could never really afford to replace them. Maybe some day I'll be able to let them go....but not right now. And, there's always a chance that if my son comes home and hunts with me, it might only be during modern season that we can actually get our scheduals to match. (he's in the Army...HOOAH!)

But I can see that my modern hunting rifles will be gathering a lot of dust from here on in. Hunting is more fun with black powder for sure.

kne

I am still working out the details, talking to other BP shooters about range and accuracy. I am shooting minies and not roundballs. I was told about 90 gr. FFg should work out to 100-125 yards.

I've been use'n muzzleloaders "exclusively" since 1971 in Wyoming and Alaska,.... I ain't seen a critter thet a roundball and BP won't kill, and I consider modern inline rifles to be "worthless junk"!!!! :m2c:

YMHS
rollingb

I'm BP for target shooting, modern O/U for upland hunting, which is all the hunting I do. When I'm out in the field, I like the safety advantages of modern guns. Maybe I'm a wimp, but the 21st century does have one or two advantages...as much as I love shooting BP, there's a few reasons old flint & percussion weapons aren't used by many folks except Us Eccentrics.

That being said, I get as much pleasure out of loading my 1858 Remington & Pennsylvania Flint Rifle as I do out of shooting them. There's something very relaxing about it; sort of a communion with American History and Literature (it was the J.F.Cooper novels that got me into it).

So I stand with one foot in the 18th Century, one in the 19th, and one in the 21st. It's a good thing I have 3 feet.

Back