• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Folding Spontoon?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rifleshooter2

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a photo of a folding rifleman'spear/spontoon. A close up of the joint area would be fantastic. I'm hoping to make a reproduction for our unit.

Andy Michaels
Legion Ville Historical Society www.legionville.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it is a scarf type joint where the two halves join, with a sliding metal sleeve to cover the joint. Are you in the BAR? I think there was an illustrated article in the Brigade Journal within the last year or so.

There's a pretty good drawing in Sketchbook 76 on page 51. It even shows the sliding sleeve/hinge and spring latch. The note at the bottom says "From Col. Flower's drawing of a pike to be made for Morgan's Rifleman 1777."

I've never seen a picture of an original (if any were made), nor of a repro. But I haven't gone looking for one, and don't usually attend big Rev War events.

Hope this helps a little.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

I'll have to check out a copy of the Sketch book. My timeframe is just after the Rev War we do The Legion of the Unites States (1792-1796) Gen. Wayne outfitted his riflemen with the folding spears and I thought having one would be a real attention getter.

Andy www.legionville.com

Illustration C-1 of the Osprey #352 "The United States Army 1783-1811" in their "Men-At-Arms" series shows the back view of a rifleman c.1794-96 with one slung across his back. It's an painted figure and the detail is not cloae up but appears to be of the type described above. Good luck.

Wes/Tex said:
Illustration C-1 of the Osprey #352 "The United States Army 1783-1811" in their "Men-At-Arms" series shows the back view of a rifleman c.1794-96 with one slung across his back. It's an painted figure and the detail is not cloae up but appears to be of the type described above. Good luck.

I have that picture the detail is not good enough.But it's a start. You can just make out some type of scarf joint.

Andy www.legionville.com

I know that on the L and C that a spontoon was carried by Clark I believe, but I havnt heard of a folding one. Could you tell anymore about them?
Thanks,
Jon

Back