• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lubricating a Garret Sharps removable Chamber Bushing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolidLeadSlug

40 Cal
Reaction score
With most owners of paper cutter sharps complaining of frozen bushings and significant gas leaks, what's the best modern way of keeping a 63 sharps bushing from siezing up and moving freely during firing? Lithium grease?

Attachments

• IMG-20240919-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20240919-WA0003.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG-20240919-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20240919-WA0004.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 0
Lithium grease works but I've found that Mobil1 synthetic grease to the the best if you can overlook the pink color but that goes black after the first shot anyway.

'morning,

Beautiful rifle! My Garret is not nearly so pristine.

Part of the frozen sleeve issue is also the difference between carbines and rifles. Even though the lock is the same, all manufacturers (that I'm aware of) use a shorter sleeve in the carbines. The longer rifle sleeve is unable to be fully removed for cleaning, so seizure is inevitable.

On my Pedersoli, which was modified to a two-piece sleeve before I bought it, I use high temp brake grease. Works fine.

Mike

'morning,

Beautiful rifle! My Garret is not nearly so pristine.

Part of the frozen sleeve issue is also the difference between carbines and rifles. Even though the lock is the same, all manufacturers (that I'm aware of) use a shorter sleeve in the carbines. The longer rifle sleeve is unable to be fully removed for cleaning, so seizure is inevitable.

On my Pedersoli, which was modified to a two-piece sleeve before I bought it, I use high temp brake grease. Works fine.

Mike
I applied some anti-seize i had lying around. Hopefully that works well. Now to find a mold!

I applied some anti-seize i had lying around. Hopefully that works well. Now to find a mold!
Before buying a mold, SLUG THE BORE! That can be done with a simply fishing weight that is "squashed" to slightly larger than bore size. Lube the squashed weight and tap through the bore from the BREECH end using a wood dowel near bore size (7/16). Once you have that in hand, THEN go looking for a mold. You can do what you want, but if you skip this step, you risk not getting any usable accuracy and wasting money on a mold.

Latest posts

Back