• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Follow Up Shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sir,

In VA, we cannot carry a pistol with us during muzzle loading season, so we have to reload the rifle.

After almost fumbling the reload for the second deer on Thanksgiving, I figured that it might help to make a wooden possibles box (about the size of a deck of cards) to contain and organize the powder, ball, patch, and caps. Might something similar work for you?

Once I have time to build one (after the season closes in January), I will try to post pics.

Loki

Rat Trapper said:
TC makes the 4 & 1 and quick shot for use in carrying extra loads. Of the two options I like the 4&1 the best, it holds either a prime charge or cap, the main charge and a patch & ball or bullet. The 4&1 also works as a starter while the quick shots hold all the above, but you need to use your own short starter.
While I was a long time fan of T/C 4-N-1 quick shots, I have found a couple issues with them.
1) They didn't make them in .62cal, so the PVC pipe in my photo was for .62's.
2) As I evolved to liking a tighter and tighter PRB combo, I found that the little built-in plastic short starter of the 4-N-1s wasn't strong enough to get the ball into the muzzle...would bend over sideways when I'd smack it...so I've pretty much moved away from them to loading blocks / ball boards, etc.

I'll add that it tunrs out the .45cal 4-N-1 quick shots also fit the .40cal PRBs and happen to work perfctly for it with it's .018" patch.

I learned the hard way this year, that you need to wait 30 minutes after shooting a deer that you did not see fall down and stay put. An odd angle due to the deer moving as you are squeezing off the shot, or other factors, can give your quarry a mortal wound, but not a quickly incapacitiating wound.

I used to wait 10 minutes, and ended up pushing the wounded buck onto another person's property. I heard it spook, but thought it was a different deer, until I hit the blood trail. Instead of an easy 60 yard track, I pushed the deer about 300 yards by not waiting.

I had to abandon the deer to property where the landowner would not let me get the downed animal. My own fault. When I did some reading on what I had done wrong, I found even the guys with modern guns advise a good 30 minutes of waiting, before you go looking.

My second deer this year I did just that..., waited a full 30 minutes by the clock. The doe was located a few minutes after I began the track, and no second shot was needed.

LD

If you look in the percussion section, there's a subject on paper cartridges. I posted a pic of some cartridges I carry just in case I need a super quick follow up shot. I actually only loaded it once after I shot a cow elk, but the elk died right in front of me, so didn't really need it. It was a good feeling to know the rifle was loaded as the animal was flopping around.

I make them so they are just loose enough to start with only the ramrod, but tight enough to still get a 4" group at 50 yards. I dip the ball end in thick lube, and tie a string under the ball to hold more lube and to keep the ball from sliding down the paper tube as it's being loaded.

If the animal is hit and trots off somewhere, I do what has already been mentioned, just stay put for a while before I go after the animal. I've even cleaned my rifle before reloading, just to make sure my lack of patience doesn't start my feet moving too soon. Bill

It is rare that I need a second shot but I use butler creek lightning loaders which carries a pre-measured load of powder and patched ball. It takes me less than 15 seconds to reload. On one occasion I shot a doe and about 2 minuted later shot an 8 point buck that was following her.

I keep a couple TC 4-in-1 loaders in my right side coat pocket along with my capper. In that pocket I keep ONLY those items so there's no fumbling or confusion with unneeded stuff. These have worked great for me and will securely hold either a .530 RB with .015 patch or a full sized .54 conical. I don't use the little cap holder built into the powder snap cover, but I suppose you could. I have also used the .50 cal version.

I ALWAYS reload immediately even if the deer drops in it's tracks. Many years ago my brother dropped a nice buck in it's tracks which laid perfectly still. He went on to "celebration" and about 30 seconds later the buck came to and stumbled to it's feet as my brother fumbled to load again, but not in time. Unfortunately, that animal was not found despite a thorough and long search. It's never happened to me, but I'll take my brother's experience and learn from that!

Now...you guys will love the solution that the slob trespassing and sitting in one of my stands this year uses...he had TWO loaded and identical inlines with him. I commented to him that he had a double-barrel, as he climbed down from my stand in preparation for his eviction from the premises, but I don't think he was in too humorous of a mood since I disturbed his hunt! He was also carrying a six-pack of diet mountain dews (two hours of hunting) and stunk to high heaven of cigarettes! If one drinks a six-pack of Dew while on a two to three hour sit, what do you suppose ends up at the bottom of my treestand...and I'm not talking about the empties!!! Just what I wanted in my carefully chosen stand! :cursing:

Spikebuck said:
If one drinks a six-pack of Dew while on a two to three hour sit, what do you suppose ends up at the bottom of my treestand...

Well, I know it looks just like Mountain Dew. Bill

I simply reload as quickly as I can considering we're talking muzzleloaders. Often I load from a horn, measure and ballbag; but sometimes I carry pre-measured charges in pvc tubes. I believe in timely reloads but not in "quick" reloads. :idunno:

Back