• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Follow up shots : loading

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I carry loose balls and a strip of pre-lubed patching in the bag. My measure is tied to the bag strap with a piece of leather. This is the same way I load at the range, so it's a routine that comes naturally.

Even though I carry 1 or 2 modern items into the woods, such as a cell phone, and use somewhat modern clothing (all natural materials such as wool, but of a modern style/manufacture), I try to make the hunt as traditional as possible. My main focus is on the weapon. To me, loading from a plastic tube takes away from the experience in a way that my cell phone (for safety's sake) and warm clothing do not.

This approach worked well enough yesterday when I hit a doe in the spine and needed a follow-up shot to finish her off. Even after those two shots I was able to reload again and get a third shot at another doe that was with her and wouldn't leave. Of course I missed that one. And the convenience of my cell phone came in handy when I sprained my ankle crossing a dry creek bed dragging the doe out in near-blizzard conditions.

" I try to make the hunt as traditional as possible. My main focus is on the weapon.'

I think that is a good approach to traditional hunting focusing on the weapon(gun/projectile/sights, will allow one the traditional experience without having to get deep into the pocket or books to go full monte(head to toe traditional gear) before considering it a traditional hunt.All the other stuff is nice but does not affect the range or ballistics or anything that has a part in making the kill.Good post and a good healthy outlook on the sport,more of this attitude is needed and should be taught to the next generation of ML hunters.

I carry a bag and horn. I have such a routine down from shooting at rendezvous that it's easiest for me to just do the same thing while hunting. When you're pushed, you do things the way you practice them. GW

I've practiced with loading block and horn with measure to the point I'm just as fast with that setup as a speedloader. In fact, you can't get speed loaders in all calibers.

I like the speed loaders for the first load in the dark each morning and usually carry a spare in my pocket. But instinct takes over on a hunt, and I always reach for the horn, measure and loading block. Probably won't replace my speed loaders as I lose them, but that's not for everyone.

I don't use "speed loaders" as such since the idea of flintlocks and speed are oxymorons. For deer hunting only, I carry pre-measured powder charges in home made pvc tubes. The balls and patches are in separate containers. I normally carry them in a shoulder bag but will also have a day horn often as not.

For deer hunting I carry premeasured powder charges in tubes and a loading block with three or four patched round balls--I can load pretty quickly with this setup.

I don't carry my bag and horn while deer hunting as I don't need to lug the extra weight and I don't want some idiot to mistake my brown bag and white horn for a patch of deer hide.

I guess you could say that I load from the bag. But....I carry pre-measured powder charges in small blood vials (got to find something more traditional) & have a loading block with pre-lubed patches & balls in the bag. I always reload, even if I really don't think it's needed. Usually the first shot is all that's needed, but you never know when you'll want a finishing shot or another shot for other game animals that may come by.

I have a small three-shot ball block that is attached to my horn strap and slips into a small leather sleeve so it doesn't dangle and tangle. I also have a bone measure attached to the horn strap. Takes me 45 seconds to a minute to reload. I always do before approaching a downed deer and, knock wood, have never needed to make a second shot with a muzzleloader.

I have 3 speed loaders that I have in my bag that I just put measured amounts of powder in. I used to put the patch, ball, and powder in but it got the powder wet and compacted and caused me to have a misfire when I actually got a second shot to take down a deer. I also carry about a dozen loose balls and patches in my bag to load with after I pour the powder from the speed loader in. I carry a horn also incase I shoot more than 4 times which I hope never happens.

stumpkiller what bones do you use to have premeasured powder in? Do you hollow out a legbone from a deer and how do you seal it up 2 corks? Curious as I would like to use more of the critter since my hunting buddy has a bone box that he uses to clean up the skulls.

Back