• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Food plots & muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea my uncle and I tilled up my plots with his Kubota and rototiller and this land had never ever been farmed and was really soddy but it cut through the sod like butter.

luie b said:
I tilled up my plots with his Kubota and rototiller and this land had never ever been farmed

You're probably lucky you were tilling some place that had never been farmed. First year on our lease we were using the tractor and rear tiller on stuff that had been out of production for nearly 20 years. We found log chains, buried barbed wire, cables, steel fence posts, old tractor parts, you name it! Whoever had that ground must have just thrown stuff all over and left it and over time it buried in the soil and was covered by thick grass and weed growth. Spent more time pulling and cutting junk out of the tiller than tilling! :cursing: Given that situation again, I'd definitely plow first. Just a warning to anyone going into old farmsteads with a rototiller.

i took my dozer and made me a 7 acre plot in the middle of my place,spent about $300. the first year on clover,wheat,winter peas and a bunch of other stuff. it was a foodplot anyone would be happy to hunt over. there were lots of deer and turkey using it and we had lots of fun hunting and watching the game animals. the next year i down sized it and just planted wheat and a little more clover thats what most of the feeding was on. the next year i just planted wheat and oats and still the deer and turkey came but i got to seeing them feed more on the honeysuckle that was on the edge of the plot where the fertilizer was over strode. that winter i stopped planting anything and got a bunch of sawtooth oaks and planted them. my trees will make their first acorn crop this year, i just keep the plot bush hogged and mow between my trees. this fall i am going to set out about 25 crabapple trees and some more sawtooths. my son was the only one to hunt the plot last winter and killed all 3 of his bucks there and saw a bunch more. he saw one that was big that he couldn't get a good shot at. i hunted over on the next ridge from it and had lots of deer and a few hogs moving to and from it at all times of the day. all i took was does hoping to get a few of the smaller bucks a little bigger rack for this season. in the last ten years i have took some nice bucks in the 150 to 165 range but have found some sheds that will top that. the one i found in my creek bottom last spring has a base thats just a little over 8 inches at the base but he looks like hes seen his best and is going down hill. my local game warden guessed his age to be around 8 to 10 but thats just a wild guess.

Back