• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Foods of Puritan Mass.?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
colorado clyde said:
Yes! it was so much less efficient back then, kind of like writing a letter to comunicate with someone far away. I love the past, but I'm not sure I would want to actually live there.

Efficiency isn't everything. I still write and receive "snail mail", and enjoy doing so. there are instances where electronic correspondence is just too fast, easy and impersonal. I would think the reenactors here would lean towards the pen at times.

Alden said:
'course they abolished slavery about the same time they did grits.

Grits are still grits and still around, if you're in the right place. :grin:

Slavery too persists, its just been rebranded, and there's no lobster for supper. :wink:

Efficiency isn't everything. I still write and receive "snail mail", and enjoy doing so. there are instances where electronic correspondence is just too fast, easy and impersonal. I would think the reenactors here would lean towards the pen at times.

Totally understand and agree. In a way you captured the very essence of this forum. I think the majority of us enjoy the simple pleasure of doing something the old fashioned way..

:haha: lobster was even chopped and mixed in too hose feed. Like grits it remains a delicacy .I ' spect it takes and educated pallet to enjoy it :haha:

Another discussion I heard once dealt with the fact that in the 1620's most of the lobsters caught were probably up to three feet long and the claim is that lobster tastes pretty bad when allowed to grow to those dimensions. How true that is, I have no idea. Not a lot around Galveston...maybe some of our New England area posters can let us in on whether that theory has any validity!

Man, if I saw three-foot lobsters I'd be so freaked out I'd never go near the shore again (except maybe to pick such monsters off from a distance). I don't even like the idea that sturgeon exist -- a fish shouldn't be longer than I am tall, sorry. Thanks for the images Wes!

Yeah, slimy freshwater fish shouldn't weigh more than I do either...

Actually lobsters taste about the same, regardless of size. = My translator, 2 bodyguards & I had a 20+ pounder (with about a quart of drawn butter) one time overseas, where they are cheap.
(I think I paid about 15.oo American for it at a fish market & we all nearly "foundered" ourselves.)

In 2008, an OB/GYN from Dallas won a 100# lobster in a raffle. - When he found out that it was about 90YO, he gave it to the Fair Park Aquarium in Dallas.
As far as I know, the huge lobster is still residing there.
(I wonder how big that they can get???)

yours, satx

colorado clyde said:
I don't even like the idea that sturgeon exist -- a fish shouldn't be longer than I am tall, sorry.

:rotf: :rotf: I won't even tell you the catfish stories. :grin:

I think large fish are awesome. There's just something fascinating about "playing tug'o'war" with something larger than yourself. :wink:

Kinda takes the fun out of the ones that fit in the frying pan though.

Come down to TX & we'll introduce you to one of our landlocked stripers & hybrid stripers, that will nearly drag you out of the boat.

And then there is "Submarine", evidently some NILE PERCH that somebody turned loose in Lake Texhoma. - To my knowledge, NOBODY has actually caught one (They are just too big/strong to land.) BUT the TPWD & OPWD folks are "MAD as H" about these "foreign intruders".
(IF the OK & TX game wardens find out who "turned them loose", the person will be "thrown under the jail".)

yours, satx

satx78247 said:
Come down to TX & we'll introduce you to one of our landlocked stripers & hybrid stripers, that will nearly drag you out of the boat.

And then there is "Submarine", evidently some NILE PERCH that somebody turned loose in Lake Texhoma. - To my knowledge, NOBODY has actually caught one (They are just too big/strong to land.) BUT the TPWD & OPWD folks are "MAD as H" about these "foreign intruders".
(IF the OK & TX game wardens find out who "turned them loose", the person will be "thrown under the jail".)

yours, satx

Careful, I may take you up on that, I've a son that lives in those parts.

As for big fish, spent a lot of time bobbing around with a line in the water in the West Delta area off Venice, kind of spoiled me fishingwise. :grin:

Btw, in the Summer of 2012 a fisherman "brought in" a about 20 pound fish, that he hadn't seen before to an OK Game Warden, who identified it as a "baby" Nile Perch.
(Reportedly, the GW said, "Well H, I guess we know now what "Submarine" is. - Those things will eat up just about everything in the lake. Turning those things loose is a huge environmental CRIME.")

yours, satx

We call blue tilapia "Nile perch" but I think they are different. The tilapia have gotten out of control.

VERY different, evidently. = These guys are commonly (I'm told, as I've NEVER seen one.) over 300# & have an appetite like a school of hungry sharks.

yours, satx

no doubt pigs and chickens enjoyed the leavens of lobsters fed to prisoners/slaves. they were plentiful and along with fish were used to fertilize the hills corn was planted on.

Back