• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Footwear for the primitive hunter?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

50 Cal.
Reaction score
As a rule I wear my Schnee's 13" hunter 2 boots for our muzzleloader season since it is in the last half of December. As a rule it is cold and sometimes snowy. But I was thinking about something.Most of the deer at this time of year do not move much. They have been shot at by archers and shotgun hunters since mid October. Also there are a few thousand less deer roaming in the woods by then as well.

I read of some people using moccasins and heard of another type of specialized footwear that is basically a set of heavy felt sandals that go over your normal boot to soften your step.

I am wondering if this isn't such a bad idea?

I find the Arrow Tall Leigionier or a home made pair of center seams to work well I also have a modified pair with a side seam amd a pleated rubber sole vulcanized on, not so PC but handy at times, I usually wear my Gore-tex socks and the Leigionier as I have found that as age increases the need to appear tough and rugged gives way to comfort and thoughts of continued good health.

It comes down to location,weather conditions, and hunting method. Moccs are quiet and comfortable for stalking, but they lack traction on leafy slopes and you will likely freeze in them in late season. For an excellent discussion on footwear for ground hunting see Fred Asbell's;
"Stalking/Still Hunting: Ground Hunter's Bible"

Back