• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Forgot my measure!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't shoot the squirrels close to the house...they are my pets...They love sunflower seeds that I give to the birds. I can sit and watch them eat for hours, squirrels have a lot of personality....Of course, they are still my favorite critter to hunt. :grin:
I have red squirrels and grey squirrels at the feeder and there is a family of black squirrels about a 1/2 mile away, but have not been able to get them to migrate my direction....I would never shoot a black squirrel in my area .....to rare.

Watch they don't get in the roof! Fires or flooding have been caused by many a squirrel here!

They carried a pox here the native red squirrel could not cope with.

Some extensive trapping programmes still run today. All year round, no closed season.

The above was feeding on acorn yes.

Less this year in this spot. Last year I shot over150 mostly with muzzle loaders, and 3f :haha:

B.

What a wonderful post. Oft times I have sat and watch game just where I couldn't take it, and got the same satisfaction of a full bag. People that don't hunt have no idea how much we love our brethren in the woods.

tenngun said:
What a wonderful post. Oft times I have sat and watch game just where I couldn't take it, and got the same satisfaction of a full bag. People that don't hunt have no idea how much we love our brethren in the woods.
:thumbsup:

Nice shooting and your emergency "powder measure" is an example of why one shouldn't be too concerned w/ close measurements of BP. Due to it's low generated pressure, it's very forgiving....Fred

flehto said:
Nice shooting and your emergency "powder measure" is an example of why one shouldn't be too concerned w/ close measurements of BP. Due to it's low generated pressure, it's very forgiving....Fred
A good point, Fred, but you might want to be a bit careful about saying such things out loud. Many people have asked me why the top of my head looks like Henry Frapp's in The Mountain Men. It's because, many years ago on another list, I was scalped for expressing the opinion that the trajectory of a rifle won't be significantly different if you change your load ± 5 grains. That goes double for shotguns, but some things are just better left unsaid. :haha:

Spence

When I still lived in Florida, I had a gray squirrel I named "Scooter", that would come when called by name, and take peanuts out of my hand. Sometimes he would jump into my lap or on my shoulder. That would scare the dickens out of you if you had your back turned when he leaped from the fence to my shoulder. My daughter now lives in my Florida house and she is still feeding peanuts to Scooter.......robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
George said:
flehto said:
A good point, Fred, but you might want to be a bit careful about saying such things out loud. Many people have asked me why the top of my head looks like Henry Frapp's in The Mountain Men. It's because, many years ago on another list, I was scalped for expressing the opinion that the trajectory of a rifle won't be significantly different if you change your load ± 5 grains. That goes double for shotguns, but some things are just better left unsaid. :haha:

Spence

Scalped! Keep your hawk closer Spence :thumbsup:

BrownBear said:
... the old round ball practice of putting a ball in your hand, then pouring enough powder to cover it. I did a lot of that, then measuring the powder in the pile just to see how the charge compared with my measured charges. Kinda fun, really.

Odds are pretty good I could "eyeball" a proper charge to within 10%. Good enough for shotgun work. :wink:

i agree, i do the same thing and it works for both rifle and smoothbore.

There are about 7 cases nationally each year but it is rarely fatal with modern medicine...it has been transmitted by prairie dogs, rats, gerbils, rodents, and even dogs...

Always wondered about getting it every time I laid over a prairie dog mound....but was more worried about snakes. :shocked2:

Why would you lay over a PD mound. :confused:

I think we have exceeded seven cases just in Colorado this year. Also a big upswing in tularemia with some deaths.

Any rodents I shoot get a wide berth until we are well into cold weather. The transmitter is most often the flea on the infected rodents. When the rodent dies the flea instantly is able to detect that the host is dead. The fleas jump (literally) onto the next warm body that passes by.

I see guys on some of the varmint boards posing with a pile of dead PD's. :shocked2:

About twenty years ago an outfitter friend got plague from skinning a road kill.

Why would you lay over a PD mound.
PD hunting...I would throw a blanket over the mound and use it as an elevated prone shooting position......worked great.

I cringe when I see people pick up their dead rodent kills....I too give them a wide berth.

The grim reaper is two steps right rear all our life's. I try not to take too many foolish chances but I can't say I worry about catching my death in the woods. Plague can't be a good way to die, but I've sent more then one animal in to the next life. Dieing as a result of sharing the life in the tall timber is ok with me. I'll be careful, but won't give it much thought.

All of the various illnesses that people can get from things out in the wild take some time to develop symptoms.

The problem is, most hospitals and doctors don't even consider them to be a possibility so they don't test for them.

While they run their tests and spend days thinking up more tests to do, the victim gets worse and worse.

If the person who comes down with the disease would tell the doctors and nurses right off the bat, "I am an outdoorsman and spend a lot of time out hunting and being in the woods." the medical staff would make it a point to test for the right thing right off the bat.

There are cures for almost all of these diseases but they need to be started asap.

The bottom line is if you come down with symptoms of Plague, Lymes disease, tularema etc make it a point to tell everyone within hearing distance about your outdoor activities.

Here's a link to a site that gives a lot of information about what might get you.

https://www.avma.org/public/Health/Pages/Outdoor-Enthusiasts-Precautions.aspx

Zonie said:
All of the various illnesses that people can get from things out in the wild take some time to develop symptoms.

The problem is, most hospitals and doctors don't even consider them to be a possibility so they don't test for them.

While they run their tests and spend days thinking up more tests to do, the victim gets worse and worse.

If the person who comes down with the disease would tell the doctors and nurses right off the bat, "I am an outdoorsman and spend a lot of time out hunting and being in the woods." the medical staff would make it a point to test for the right thing right off the bat.

There are cures for almost all of these diseases but they need to be started asap.

The bottom line is if you come down with symptoms of Plague, Lymes disease, tularema etc make it a point to tell everyone within hearing distance about your outdoor activities.

Here's a link to a site that gives a lot of information about what might get you.

https://www.avma.org/public/Health/Pages/Outdoor-Enthusiasts-Precautions.aspx
Oh how right you are......

Back